Feature similar to 'Detach tab' that allows tab to be moved to currently-open window?

Is there anything similar to ‘detach tab’ that allows the user to specify an already-open window they want to move the tab to (i.e., instead of opening it in a ‘New’ Window)? Thanks.

Hi @mk7z,

If I understand your post correctly, you want to move tabs from one window to another window, right?

You can do that by dropping the tab in between tabs @ tab bar in the destination window or before + button.

:slightly_smiling_face:

Thanks. Are you referring to a method that doesn’t require having two different windows (source/destination) accessible simultaneously?

Otherwise, having to set this up seems like more trouble than copying-&-pasting the tab & then deleting from the original location.

I meant something along the lines of a ‘right-click’ option where ‘Detach’ would have a sub-option to redirect the tab to a particular window.

@mk7z, I’m not entirely sure I understand what it is you’re trying to say.
Are you saying that you’d like to move one tab into a new window? Or that you want to move one tab into an already opened window? Either way, as @eljuno said, dragging and dropping should get the job done.Does this match what you’re trying to accomplish :

Yes, moving into an already-open window. ‘Detach’ does the move to a ‘new window’ fine.

The repositioning of windows to allow a drag-&-drop is for me no faster than copying the tab and pasting it into the target window (then deleting the original tab.).

I just thought that with Detach as an existing option to move the tab to a ‘new’ window, if instead one wants it moved to an open window, a right click on the ‘Detach’ option could offer a menu of already-open windows to move it to. In my case, most of the time I want to move tabs to a window that’s already open, not to a new window.

I’m still not entirely sure I follow. I don’t see this feature as described on any other browser, and - unless I’m still missing something - I think that the functionality you’re after is fairly easily achieved via drag & drop. I’m not sure copy/pasting (as you say you do now) or having a special menu for this is going to yield much advantage over drag and drop. I’m even able to alt+tab, while dragging:

Thanks. Can’t quite see what you’re doing there but it seems like you’re opening Mission Control (if you’re on a Mac, or Windows equiv. if you’re not), then doing a drag-&-drop from there.

I usually end up with many windows open so if I understand how you’re doing it, I’d have to first scan Mission Control to find the target window (and they’re small enough to make me squint), and then go from there.

The way I do it now is I just copy the URL (source window), open the target window (from the Window dropdown), hit the new tab ‘icon’ in the Tab bar and paste. It’s pretty quick, but if I could just right-click on ‘Detach tab’ and get a menu of windows to select to move the tab to, it would be even faster.

You may well be correct that what I’m looking for isn’t a feature in other browsers. I find that I’m always wishing it was, tho.

What does alt+tab refer to? Maybe I’m missing a way to do this I don’t even know about.

Apologies for not clarifying enough. I’m using windows, so for me, alt + tab opens the menu you’re seeing of all the Windows I currently have open on my Desktop:
(this is what it looks like hitting alt + tab and holding alt so I can see whats open)

Holding Alt and hitting tab repeatedly scrolls through the list of available windows to bring to focus (i can alos click on them).

I do see the value in what it is that you’re trying to describe. If you’d like to drop this in Feature Requests, I’d be happy to make sure it gets logged into GitHub for you as well. Just make sure you give a good amount of detail with respect to you how you want the feature to function.

Thanks. Seems to be the equivalent of Mission Control on the Mac. For better or worse, I have 26 windows open (not unusual) and, displayed as a grid, I can barely make out anything, which is why I almost never use Mission Control to locate a window.

I also don’t know of any way to drag a tab off one window into another that’s already open (as opposed to moving it into a ‘new’ window) on a Mac. I’ll look into that, maybe there is a way. Experimenting now, tho, if I drag a tab off the tab bar, hit the Mission Control key to display the open windows and try to pop the tab into another Brave window in the grid, it doesn’t work.

If you’d like to drop this in Feature Requests, I’d be happy to make sure it gets logged into GitHub for you as well.

OK, I’ll do that.

I do see the value in what it is that you’re trying to describe. If you’d like to drop this in Feature Requests, I’d be happy to make sure it gets logged into GitHub for you as well.

Thanks. Finally got to this: