Failing to import history, bookmarks & passwords from Chrome/Chromium

bug

Description of the issue:
This issue has already been reported : # Importing history, bookmarks and passwords from Chrome into Brave

I’m trying to import all my Chromium browser data into a new profile in Brave, but I’m always getting “To finish importing, close all Chrome windows” error message.!

Steps to Reproduce (add as many as necessary): 1. 2. 3.

1. Create a new profile
  2. In the step 2 of the “welcome” tour OR simple accessing chrome://settings open the “Import bookmarks and settings” tab
  3. Select any of the available browers (checking or unchecking any of the options)
  4. Click import -> get the error message “To finish importing, close all Chrome windows”

Actual Result (gifs and screenshots are welcome!):
Screenshot%20at%202019-02-27%2011-58-47|532x500

Expected result:
Data successfully imported

Reproduces how often:
Always

Brave Version(about:brave):
(wrong url, it should be : brave:settings/help)
Version 0.61.36 Chromium: 73.0.3683.39 (Official Build) beta (64-bit)
(on Ubuntu)

Reproducible on current live release (yes/no):

Additional Information:

@kbsali, thanks for reaching out.
This may seem like a silly thing to ask but - can you ensure that you don’t have any other browsing windows open? This goes for anything Chromium based - Google Chrome instances, Brave instances, Chromium instances, etc.

I’m having this same issue. The “solution” at https://community.brave.com/t/importing-history-bookmarks-and-passwords-from-chrome-into-brave/42638 doesn’t work.

I’ve exported my bookmarks and passwords from Chrome and into Brave manually, but I need my history as well. Extensions would be a sweet bonus too!

Any news on when this will be fixed? I can’t make Brave my default browser until it’s done.

@jandreasen @kbsali there are two work-arounds that I can suggest trying

1. Open Chrome again and then close it. This should gracefully clean up the lock file
  2. Manually delete the lock file (make sure Chrome is closed first). It’s going to be in the profile directory…
  • on macOS, the file is in your profile directory at ~/Library/Application Support/Google/Chrome/SingletonLock
  • on Windows, the file is in your profile directory at %USERPROFILE%\AppData\Local\Google\Chrome\User Data\lockfile
  • on Linux, the file is in your profile directory at ~/.config/google-chrome/SingletonLock

After that, you should have no problems importing :slight_smile:

Please let me know if this helps

Thanks!
Brian

Awesome, it’s worked!
I have rm ~/.config/google-chrome/SingletonLock,
then imported in a new profile to test out
and finally imported on my “pro” profile successfully (it won’t overwrite over your existing data, but rather add all this) :+1:

closed #6