Extension Request - "Switch Browser Agent"

Please create an extension or bake into Brave the ability to switch user agents, solely for the purpose of disallowing websites to track you throughout your journey across the world wide web. Changing IPs, and or using TOR and VPNs are not enough by themselves. It has been studied that - major organizations and agencies can track individuals with more accuracy by fingerprinting their browser - whitepaper here --> (“https://arstechnica.com/information-technology/2017/02/now-sites-can-fingerprint-you-online-even-when-you-use-multiple-browsers/”).

Agreed !!

Just FYI, although there are reasons one might want to spoof the browser’s user-agent string, it does little to enhance anonymity — you are better off looking like every other Brave user with Tor than looking like the one Brave user with Tor who spoofs user-agent, because like every other browser including the Tor Browser, Brave is distinguishable even without the user-agent.

From what I wrote in the other thread:

So basically, The Amount of Brave users are about 1% or less to that of the users who use Tor browser, I believe. Now not all brave users would use Tor integration feature. Let’s says about 40% - 60% of brave users would use Tor integrated in brave.

What my point is, the users who use Tor via brave are extremely and easily targetable on individual level as compared to that of the users who use Tor’s own independent browser. Minimising Fingerprinting was a part of Brave top agenda once, wasn’t it;) what we’re doing here is completely opposite to minimising fingerprints.

Again, this is just my point of you, just an opinion :slight_smile:

Taylor - please read up on Browser Agents and browser fingerprinting before making a wild claims like: “it does little to enhance anonymity” - did you even read the article I cited? Or the other hundreds published on this topic??
The thing is, if you visit a website and it dynamically adapts the page to your browser agent( fingerprint) it almost always changes the page to fit your viewing needs (example -IE user agent might differ than a mobile firefox agent). Oh yeah little tip—if the page changes to meet your “spoofed agent” it is really difficult for the destination host to accurately determine if you are spoofing or not because it is serving up an altered page according to your “spoofed user agent”
Honestly, not even sure why I am responding to this…lol. It is clear you don’t have the in-depth knowledge required to accurately argue on the behalf of this topic.
Just so everyone is clear - having the ability to spoof your browser agent is very useful and very hard for clients to detect you are spoofing.

Anonymity means the server can’t distinguish you, me, or Bob here.

Suppose we are all Brave users, and all wearing the standard Brave mask on our faces, but Bob is walking with a limp while you and I are not. This limp — which is a behavioural characteristic, analogous to the graphics rendering differences in the paper cited by the article you linked — lets anyone watching distinguish Bob from you and me.

If you change your mask from a Brave mask to a Firefox mask — analogous to changing your user-agent string — that doesn’t do anything to stop observers from distinguishing Bob by his limp. In fact, it now lets observers distinguish all three of us, because you’re the one walking normally with a Firefox mask, I’m the one walking normally with a Brave mask, and Bob is the one limping with a Brave mask.

Customization of how you appear to the web server makes you more distinguishable, not less. There are reasons to change one’s user-agent string, like to find out how someone is trying to disguise a web page to the Google crawler, but improving anonymity is not one of those reasons — because it hurts anonymity.

A little bit of reading before we escalate this topic :