Excessive DNS queries to cr.brave.com

Description of the issue:

I’ve noticed that while using brave browser on Pop!_OS 21.04, my device has been making excessive DNS queries to cr.brave.com. In the last 24 hours, there where approximately 100K requests made by my device.

How can this issue be reproduced?

1. Turn on Pop!_OS laptop
  2. open brave browser

Expected result:

I’m not sure what the purpose of this domain is, but i’m fairly certain that 100K DNS requests is a bit excessive. I haven’t seen this traffic from my windows or android devices that have brave installed on them

Brave Version( check About Brave):

[Version 1.15.76 Chromium: 86.0.4240.111 (Official Build) (64-bit)]

Additional Information:

Thank you for the report, @gtr_f00t. This URL is for our crash-reporting endpoint. 100,000 requests in 24 hours is extremely excessive indeed. Do you have Crash Reporting enabled, and are you able to see which process is making the requests? Do you see any entries on brave://crashes that have been uploaded, and now have an Upload ID? If so, we could check one of those to see what is causing the many crashes (assuming it’s all related).

1 Like

And you may want to update your Brave to the latest version too.

2 Likes

Thanks for the thoughts @sampson. I wasn’t able to get any logs captured prior to updating brave as per @eljuno’s recommendations, however DNS logs have cleared significantly after doing so.

Please do check brave://crashes; if it had crash logs before the update, it should have them afterwards as well. It may also be that your version of Brave (1.15.76, from October of 2020) was going a bit wild due to something else entirely (e.g. repeated failed attempts to generate a crash report).

Prior to updating, there were no crashes

1 Like

Thank you for clarifying; please do let us know if you notice anything else following the update.

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.