Ever since a few days ago Brave forgets my saved passwords and I'm logged out of accounts I had signed into whenever I reboot

Description of the issue:

One day I started Brave and noticed I had been logged out of all my accounts. I think this was 3-4 days ago now. I also noticed that when I went to sign in, Brave hadn’t remembered my password. Sometimes, it had remembered my username, however, but not my password. Going to “Passwords” I am shown this:

I’m not sure if this was after an update, as I regularly run yay -Syu on my Arch Linux system, and I do not always pay attention to the packages being updated. I am aware that since this problem started I have updated my system at least once to 0.64.77 (from 0.64.76, I believe).

Steps to Reproduce (add as many as necessary):

1. Install Brave on Arch Linux with (assuming the AUR helper, yay, is installed) yay -S brave-bin.
  2. Start Brave.
  3. Sign into some account.
  4. Reboot.
  5. Re-open Brave.
  6. Open the website you had signed into, and voila you should be signed out.
  7. Try to sign back in, and notice that while your username may be easy to autofill, your password will not autofill.

Actual Result (gifs and screenshots are welcome!):
Account sign-ins were lost, after rebooting and re-opening Brave.

Expected result:
To be still signed into the accounts I had signed into, before rebooting Brave, or at least to have the passwords I had saved to be kept (I do select “Save” when the dialog box that asks if I want to save my password pops up).

Reproduces how often:
Every single time.

Operating System and Brave Version(See the About Brave page in the main menu):
Arch Linux. Brave 0.64.77.

@fusion809 what is your privacy settings like? You may have set it to clear on exit

Thanks for coming to my aid! Where can I find the privacy settings? I’m confident I haven’t set it to do this, as I haven’t tinkered with those settings, at least not right before this problem started.

Nvm, found it:

I can’t see anything problematic there.

Check clear browsing data

Here ye go:
Screenshot_20190524_220734 Screenshot_20190524_220733

(Shared only the two that seemed most relevant, I did have five pics to show, but I was told new users can only post at most 4 pics with a post.)

These settings seem to indicate to me (correct me if I’m wrong about their meaning) that there’s no problem here.

It shows no problem so this is where is scream @Mattches

@fusion809,
First, this may seem strange but confirm the following:

1. Launch Brave and login to a site (tell me which site if you dont mind).
  2. Save your password and confirm its saved by checking Settings --> Autofill --> Passwords
  3. Close Brave and navigate to ./config/BraveSoftware
  4. Is there a Brave-Browser folder here? If so, is it populated or empty?

If empty, let me know. If populated, check the following thread and see if any solutions found there apply to you (thread is for OSX users but still worth checking):

Sorry, should have said here that it rectified itself yesterday, it seems like an update might have fixed the issue.

2 Likes

@fusion809,
No worries – glad to hear it’s working.
If this happens again please let me know and I will re-open this topic for further troubleshooting.