Error on yesterday's update [Windows "blank window" issue]

Apologies to any Win7 users here who were getting blocked by this. We truly appreciate your patience and assistance with addressing the issue. There’s clearly something going on under the hood with respect to Brave and Win7 display settings. We’ll work that out on our end, but this workaround should suffice for now.

For anyone in this thread (or just now getting here), I’m marking this as the “solution” temporarily. There’s a chance this may not work in all cases. If you attempt this solution (see below) and it does not resolve the issue, please leave a reply in this thread and let us know so we can further troubleshoot.

Workaround for Windows 7 Blank screen:

1. Find the shortcut for Brave (generally on Desktop), right-click and select Properties from the context menu.
  2. Click into the “Target” field, and type --disable-gpu at the end of the path. Note that you must type this outside of the quotes with a space between the flag and quotes. It should look something like this:
  3. Click Apply then OK then open the modified shortcut you just created.
  4. Assuming this worked and you’re able to view Brave, open the main menu on the top-right
  5. Navigate to Settings --> Advanced --> System --> Hardware Acceleration
  6. Ensure this option is off. If not, toggle it off and relaunch:
  7. Now, return to the modified shortcut, remove the --disable-gpu flag from the Target path and launch Brave using that shortcut.

If everything was successful, you should now be able to launch and use Brave as intended. Again, if this didn’t work for you let me know. A special shoutout to @Lauren for jumping through about 5000 hoops and helping me diagnose this :slight_smile:
EDIT: Also shoutout to @clippy for inspiring me to try the flag again (as it had previously failed).

12 Likes

Terrific! This worked for my husband’s computer (Windows 10). Thanks so much for figuring all this out.

1 Like

My pleasure!
Appreciate your patience through all this.

1 Like

Yes ork like a charm. Yeahhhhhhhh

1 Like

I thing it’s comming from chromium itself, Today i installed Chromium and Same Problem Occurred and Same ( --disable-gpu) fix work for that…

, Hope you patch soon, wasted a lot of time on this

Did launching with this flag not resolve the issue?

Yes it Resolve the issue…:+1::+1::+1:

1 Like

Did it like explained, and it’s now working propperly!
Many thaks!

2 Likes

I’ve just installed the lattest version for Windows 64 bit and experienced exactly the same issue. I tried this solution and it worked. Great and many thanks @Mattches.

2 Likes

Hey Mattches,
i’m using Win 10 64. was able to insert the --disable-gpu, Bada Bing/Bada Boom. back in biz. (at first i thought it didn’t work but went back and checked everything and saw i was missing the little dash before ‘gpu’). was able to turn off hardware accel too. hope this fixes it and great thanks. so nice to have my Brave back.
peace out,
shivad

1 Like

Perfect!
Working in Windows 8 also.
Thanks a lot!

1 Like

hi there i did follow all those instruction but its stayed black on screen … i am using windows ultimate

@poseidon2125,
Can you show me what the modified Shortcut target looks like on your end?

Hi,
Thanks a lot… Its working in win 7. Thanks again and again. I appreciate your quick response.

Best Regards
Shiji A V

1 Like

Hi there,
I tried this solution and was not able to get Brave to launch using the --disable-gpu flag in order to turn off the acceleration. Do you have any other suggestions?

@Bpizzle,
Would you mind opening a new topic and following the posting guidelines so that we can more accurately assist you? Thank you.

Thank u, i can’t believe that my browser has so fast now

1 Like

I finally got around to revisiting this issue. I downloaded the latest 64-bit beta (0.69.107) a short while ago and installed it - and it worked “right out of the box”. Now I can kick Internet Explorer back to the curb.

2 Likes