Error on yesterday's update [Windows "blank window" issue]

@Lauren,
You don’t see a dialog box like this show up at any point after clicking uninstall?
Also, ensure that you have any/all Brave processes closed before attempting to uninstall.

I don’t ever remember seeing any kind of dialog box after selecting Uninstall for Brave. Can you post a picture and I’ll tell you if it looks familiar? It’s been almost a month since I tried it the first time, and since I uninstalled the old Brave. So it’s possible I saw it right at the beginning.

Whoops, meant to add a screenshot in my reply above. Should look something like this:
The image here was grabbed from a Win10 machine so it may look a bit different on Win7 (likely will appear with blue borders in Win7 “style”) but the message and function should be the same.

That doesn’t look familiar at all. I don’t think I’ve ever seen it, any of the times I’ve installed and uninstalled Brave. Or tried to, anyway. Hold on, and let me uninstall the old Brave again and see if I get it.

I still didn’t get the dialogue box. I caught a brief glimpse of it when I moused over the uninstall icon at the bottom when I uninstalled the new version again. Then it was blank again, and it happened only the first time I moused over. If I hadn’t just seen the image above I wouldn’t have recognized what it was. I didn’t get anything when I uninstalled the old version, it just uninstalled without any kind of prompt.

I wonder if that’s what’s happening with the uninstall–that the dialogue box is hidden somehow? Off screen maybe?

@Lauren,
Thank you! It may seem small but that’s actually quite useful information (honestly I should have asked about it to begin with).
Still unclear about what exactly is happening, but the fact that it makes it to the point in which that notification is displayed tells us something. Going to go make more noise about this. Thank you again for your patience and diligence.

1 Like

One way or another, it’s becoming more obvious that the two problems are linked. When I moused over the uninstall icon in the bottom tray, the little box popped up above it as they always do. The one that shows a thumbnail of what’s attached to the icon? And the dialogue box showed up for a split second, then the box was gray again. It’s always been gray before. Just like the Brave window is showing white, but with (apparently) live links under it. So whatever it happening, both windows are apparently displaying the same behavior.

Great minds, @Lauren!
I (quite literally) just got done writing up a message to several team members detailing that that may in fact be the case and we can use it to further isolate the problem.

While we go over this internally, there’s something else we may try, if you’re willing. I know that this is going to seem ridiculous, considering that you’re trying your damndest to remove Brave from your machine but I’m actually going to suggest you add “more” Brave…:slight_smile:
Specifically a different release channel of the browser. For example, you can visit https://brave.com/download-beta and download the Beta version of Brave to your machine.

Each channel - Release (this is the one you have), Beta, Developer - installs independently and can be run in parallel with any other Brave install on your machine (that is, no data will be overwritten between installs). I’m curious as to whether the Beta/Developer build of Brave would produce the same results you’re seeing when attempting to install the Release build.

If you’re unwilling to test this I completely understand. But if you are:

1. Visit https://brave.com/download-beta
  2. Download and install Brave Beta onto your machine
  3. Attempt to launch Brave Beta

If you decided to test, let me know what happens. If not, I’ll return when I (hopefully) have more information. Thank you again.

1 Like

I LIKE Brave. That’s why I’m still here, trying to figure this thing out. If I didn’t want it, I would have abandoned you after I removed it the first time.

I downloaded the Beta version and it’s doing exactly the same thing. White window. However, forewarned I was able to find the address bar, the arrows, the reload button, etc, and verify that they seem to be working as intended. I just can’t SEE them. I found the address bar and typed in a website, and it went there but I still can’t see it.Image4

1 Like

Once again, excellent information!
Just to clarify, does Brave Release build (the first attempted install) also respond (but not show) in the same way Beta does?

If it’s happening on Windows 7 machines, is it possible that it’s older hardware? Maybe incompatible hardware acceleration? I’ve had issues with Chromium-based browsers on Linux and turning that off helped. Not easy to do if the program is loading a stark white page, but maybe the .exe file could be altered (right-click menu or a change to the shortcut, perhaps) to turn it off?

Yes, identical behavior in Beta and Release.

I just tried the shift-move option and the cursor was square in the middle of the screen. The “uninstall” screen is there, up on the screen, but apparently invisible.

https://productforums.google.com/forum/#!topic/chrome/0SKA2sCUpu4

Right click on Chrome icon on your desktop -> Properties -> Shortcut tab -> Now append –disable-gpu at the end of the text in the Target field. See this screenshot for reference:

3 Likes

I knew there was someone smarter than me out there! I don’t know if that’ll help, but it’s good to know, regardless.

1 Like

Several people on the github post have tried it and said it didn’t work for them. I tried it and got the following message: “The name ‘c:\Users…exe–disable-gpu’ specified in the Target box is not valid.” I put in quotes in a second try and got the same message.

1 Like

@Lauren,
You need a space between the quotes and the flag itself. Try again and ensure you include a space:
"~This / is / a / path" --disable-gpu

2 Likes

And there it is. It worked. I used the bravebrowserstandalonesetup file that I kept. However, it didn’t work for the icon that the program put on the toolbar at the bottom. When I use that link it still shows the blank screen, so it needs to be done individually for each icon.

1 Like

@Lauren, progress!
Many users have reported that the flag doesn’t work but i’m glad to hear that it worked for you!
You are correct about the shortcut on your toolbar – This flag is a workaround, rather than a solution. The path you’re modifying applies only to the shortcut you’re editing. It’s not changing the actual launch behavior of Brave itself.

We still have a lot to work out as far as this issue is concerned but hopefully this flag can help users at least get started.

That said, @Lauren, I’d like to see if we can make this a permanent solution as well. You need to disable Hardware Acceleration in Brave’s settings so that any time Brave is launched using any shortcut, it will load with that setting already configured. Try the following:

1. Launch Brave using your --disable-gpu modified shortcut
  2. In Brave, open the main menu and navigate to Settings --> Advanced --> System --> Hardware Acceleration
  3. Toggle this option off and close Brave
  4. Relaunch Brave using any shortcut that is not modified

If all goes well, the browser should now launch and display correctly every time. Let me know the results.

3 Likes

It worked. I used the link in the bottom tray, then took the additional text off the other. Both links are working now.

4 Likes