Error on yesterday's update [Windows "blank window" issue]

OK. looks like I have the old Brave back from the link provided above. SO that’s a huge step in the right direction. Lost all bookmarks, BAT, etc, but I can live with that. Chrome is shut down and I hope never to have to touch it again. Blech.

The registry shows that the uninstall string is

“C:\Users\J\AppData\Local\brave\update.exe” --uninstall

Thus, you run the update program, which fails to start, to uninstall :confused: That’s not a very good strategy and why some are here…

Anyway, here is the content of my brave-core-upgrade-debug.log file:

2018-12-08T03:47:29.001Z - Creating “Brave (old)” shortcut on desktop
2018-12-08T03:47:29.563Z - Attempting silent install using “C:\Users\J\AppData\Local\brave\app-0.26.0\resources\BraveBrowserSetup64.exe”
2018-12-08T04:17:41.459Z - Error thrown when installing brave-core: Error: Command failed: C:\Users\J\AppData\Local\brave\app-0.26.0\resources\BraveBrowserSetup64.exe /silent /install
2018-12-08T13:17:37.502Z - Creating “Brave (old)” shortcut on desktop
2018-12-08T13:17:37.862Z - Attempting silent install using “C:\Users\J\AppData\Local\brave\app-0.26.0\resources\BraveBrowserSetup64.exe”
2018-12-08T13:18:11.214Z - Error thrown when installing brave-core: Error: Command failed: C:\Users\J\AppData\Local\brave\app-0.26.0\resources\BraveBrowserSetup64.exe /silent /install
2018-12-08T22:24:45.141Z - brave-core already installed at “C:\Program Files (x86)\BraveSoftware\Brave-Browser\Application”
2018-12-08T22:24:47.418Z - brave-core already installed at “C:\Program Files (x86)\BraveSoftware\Brave-Browser\Application”

And I wonder why is the 64 bit version installed in \Program Files (x86) ? BraveBrowserSetup64.exe is surely a 64 bit program, right?

1 Like

I installed brave for the first time on windows 7 ultimate. A first time user of brave.

After installation, only getting a blank white browser. Can do nothing except to close it.

Tried to uninstall Brave with ‘uninstall a program’. It initiates a ‘uninstall brave’ tab with the brave logo. Then nothing happens. The tab can be seen, but there is no window.

1 Like

I don’t know if it will help, but the BraveBrowserSetup64.exe does not exist in the folder the install file was trying to access according to the error log. I don’t know the first thing about how an install file ought to work, but I presume it would have to have the file IN the folder in order to access it.

“C:\Users\Username\AppData\Local\brave\app-0.26.0\resources\BraveBrowserSetup64.exe”

I have the same problem. I tried to install to 2 computers, win7-32bit & win7-64bit professional. Both had blank white screen. To uninstall I use IObit program, no problem in uninstalling.

@Mattches Any updates on this? Anything? Progress? Lack of progress? Is it going to get addressed before the post closes automatically in 12 days?

Try adding " --disable-gpu" to you’re shortcut’s target line.

1 Like

If anyone here is willing, I do have something else that may be useful for us in diagnosing the issue. I’ve seen reports like this about Windows 7 as well. Similar, but not exactly the same issue.
If I may quote myself quoting myself,

I actually just spoke to a user a few days ago who emailed us experiencing this exact issue. If I may quote myself here:

[…]We’d like for you to run a quick test and share the results with us, if that’s alright with you. Its just device information, nothing sensitive, but we would understand if you would decline these tests.

The test in particular is dxdiag ​which runs diagnostics and displays information about your devices display/graphics drivers. You can run this command from the Windows command line. Type cmd ​ into the Windows search bar and bring up the Windows command line terminal. Type dxdiag ​into the terminal and press Enter.

We’re interested in the results in the Display ​ tab.

Let me know the results and I’ll have the team go over them to see if we can find the cause of the issue.

If anyone is comfortable sharing that information please feel free to drop it here or DM me directly (@Mattches). Thanks for being patient Win7 friends, we haven’t forgotten about you!

2 Likes

1 Like

I originally had a problem almost identical to Lauren’s, but as a result of my troubleshooting, I now have a problem almost identical to lebedeff’s:

DESCRIPTION: Attempts to install Brave on my laptop [1] result in failure and [2] trigger my antivirus program.

STEPS TO REPRODUCE: Launch Brave installer (BraveBrowserSetup.exe) either normally (my Windows user account belongs to local Administrators security group) or as administrator; then exit from error message window.

ACTUAL RESULT:

(I didn’t capture my antivirus program’s warning, but it’s similar in intent to the warning that lebedeff got from his Kaspersky Internet Security.)

EXPECTED RESULT: Successful installation, and no triggering of my antivirus program.

FREQUENCY OF OCCURENCE: Every instance.

BRAVE VERSION: 1.3.99.0 x64 (installer)

ADDITIONAL INFORMATION: I had a functional installation of Brave v0.x (not certain which version, but definitely preceded v1). I last updated it successfully on December 20.

It prompted me to upgrade it to v1.x on December 21. I exited from it, then checked Task Manager to ensure that there weren’t any lingering Brave.exe processes running (this has been an ongoing annoyance for me) - there weren’t - then proceeded with the upgrade, which failed with the aforementioned result and triggered my antivirus software to disinfect my computer.

I downloaded the installer later and attempted the upgrade again later on December 21, and got the same result.

I resumed regular usage of Brave. Whenever I checked Task Manager after launching Brave, I noticed a new BraveUpdate.exe process running - something that I hadn’t seen prior to the second upgrade attempt.

Today (December 28), Brave became unresponsive during an hour of time when I was away from my computer. Attempts to exit it gracefully failed, so I killed it via Task Manager. I relaunched it, and encountered the same general issue as Lauren: blank window, no toolbars, no pull-down menu, and window title bar indicating “(Not Responding)”. Attempts to exit it gracefully failed again, so I killed it via Task Manager again. I cycled power (not just reboot!), then launched Brave again, and encountered the blank-window phenomenon again. I uninstalled Brave via Control Panel, then downloaded a fresh copy of the v1.3.99.0 x64 installer and proceeded to my current situation.

MY COMPUTER SPECS
• brand/model: Acer Aspire 5253
• RAM: 4 GB
• free hard drive space: ~68 GB
• antivirus program: ZoneAlarm Free Antivirus + Firewall v15.3.062.17721

I’m using Internet Explorer v11 in the meantime; I’ll never use Google Chrome if I can help it, and I’m done with Firefox because of what the leftists at Mozilla did to Brendan Eich (which is why I use Brave!). Please advise.

1 Like

This upgrade failure issue is also discussed at https://github.com/brave/browser-laptop/issues/15313.

2 Likes

Just dropping in to say that this issue has been officially logged. I was under the impression we’d already filed it but apparently not. Given the number of reports I’m certain this issue will be addressed but at this time we’re still unsure about what the issue is.

If you’re willing to grab log information or run the directx test (both mentioned above in thread) please drop that information in this thread or directly on the associated GitHub issue:

@Mattches Is the auto-close deadline going to be extended?

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed after 30 days. New replies are no longer allowed.

Yep, thats my bad. Meant to change that for this thread specifically.
Thread has been reopened. I have meetings with a few people today and I plan on making some noise about these Win7 issues.
Still haven’t forgotten about you, @Lauren and/or everyone dealing with display/uninstall issues.

1 Like

Thanks. I was just composing a goodbye message but uncertain where to post it. I’ll keep watching.

@Lauren,
While you’re here - I’m 99% sure this was already considered but when you go to uninstall Brave (via add/remove programs in control panel), there should be a check box in the uninstall dialog that asks if you want to remove browsing/profile data as well.

Have you checked this box during any of the installs?

I didn’t check that checkbox when I did my uninstallation.

Also, I don’t know how relevant the Display portion of my dxdiag result will be, but here it is:

I’ve never been given the option of checking anything. When I select Uninstall from the control panel this is all it shows.

The uninstall icon on the bottom tray. Uninstall shows in the task manager but nothing happens except that CPU usage immediately jumps up into the 60-80% range.