Error code: STATUS_INVALID_IMAGE_HASH problem

Description of the issue:
How can this issue be reproduced?

1. After i download brave it is not working. Once i open in my laptop (windows) it shows an error: Error code: STATUS_INVALID_IMAGE_HASH
  2. I can’t even go to settings or about Brave

Expected result:

Brave Version( check About Brave):

Additional Information:

Is this when you try to install Brave, or did you already install it and this is when you try to open it?

What version of Windows are you on?

My first impression is that whatever you’re opening (the installer, or the app itself) is either corrupt or has been tampered with. I would suggest re-downloading and re-installing if possible, but other things may need to be done as well.

Do you have antimalware software (such as Windows Defender) on your PC, and is it being updated?

Thanks a lot for your reply. I have note done my reply as below.

Is this when you try to install Brave, or did you already install it and this is when you try to open it?

My reply: I have installed it several times and it happens after I install it and run.

What version of Windows are you on?

My reply: Windows 11.

My first impression is that whatever you’re opening (the installer, or the app itself) is either corrupt or has been tampered with. I would suggest re-downloading and re-installing if possible, but other things may need to be done as well.

My reply: I have downloaded several times from brave.com and installed and reinstalled it. Even I tried beta version too. Same issue.

Do you have antimalware software (such as Windows Defender) on your PC, and is it being updated?

My reply: Yes I have bitdefender. But I have uninstalled it then tried. But no change.

Please help me.

OK, thanks for the response.

I may have initially misunderstood the nature of the problem; is Brave actually starting (loading) or does it fail and crash/exit?

Maybe it would be easiest if you could include a screenshot of what you’re seeing.

In the meantime, I found a couple articles that might help; you can try these at your own risk of course.

I just got this same message after using Brave for a long time. I can’t fix it either. I can’t attach a pic in here?

@jsabia5168,
Can you try the solutions @JimB1 listed above and see if they resolve the issue at all?

Those are for Chrome not Brave

@jsabia5168,
Yes, but Brave is built on the Chromium engine so we often inherit issues/errors in those builds. So solutions for chrome/chromium often apply to Brave as well.

I tried but they don’t line up. Let me try again

Nope there is no folder for Brave under system or policies, only my other browsers

@jsabia5168,
You should see what you need in

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\BraveSoftware\Brave-Browser

Wow I don’t have that it’s like my entire Brave is gone.

Brave 2

OK this top one from MiniTool worked, I missed a step! Hope it’s safe lol. Thanks!

1 Like

@jsabia5168,
Thank you for updating us and letting us know that this worked. @akter can you please see if the above solution works for you as well?

Well it’s back and the steps aren’t working this time…

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.