Error: Brave Rewards profile is flagged - Looking for explanation. What's the potential cause?

I am receiving the following error message below when trying to verify my wallet. I was looking for an explanation as to what might have caused this issue and why my browser has been flagged?

I’ve been trying Brave Rewards for two months now and both ‘rewards will arrive in x days amounts’ have each netted a total of zero being deposited into my wallet at the end of the month. I thought that verifying my wallet might help but unfortunately I get the following error when attempting to authenticate with Uphold.

Look forward to hearing back. Thanks so much for your reply.

Error: Brave Rewards profile is flagged

Unfortunately, your Brave Rewards profile has been flagged, and you’re not able to verify with a custodian at this time. This flag can sometimes be due to irregular Brave Ads activity, though it can also be a false positive.

Note that while your Brave Rewards profile is flagged, you won’t be able to verify.

No action is required on your part. Your Brave Rewards profile will be automatically reevaluated on a regular basis to determine when (or if) the flag can be removed. Please try again every so often to see if the flag has been removed.

1 Like

Honestly, you won’t find one. At least not anything specific or detailed. I have answered many others who have come and asked. I’ve even included something on an old FAQ that I recently retired (will be making a new one here later), which you can see at -Retired- PSA: User FAQ - Support & Answers

Plain and simple is flagged account = account suspension.

Beyond that, I guess you can also look at one of my responses to someone from a few weeks ago:

Short version though is they are looking for activity that is NOT usual and likely is someone trying to farm/mine BAT or commit fraudulent activity.

This actually has seemed to be broken. I’ve brought it up multiple times but not sure when/if they are going to fix it. Truth be told, you need to create a Rewards Support Ticket to appeal it. Otherwise you’ll likely be flagged forever.

Of course, alternative is just to Reset your Rewards by going to brave://rewardsManage Brave RewardsReset or by creating a new browser profile. Both of these latter situations will result in the loss of all BAT not stored in Uphold/Gemini and will have you starting Rewards from scratch. Though these may be changing next month, as they will be requiring people to be connected to Gemini or Uphold in order to earn BAT and I don’t know if flagged accounts might end up being able to flag based on an Uphold account level or if it will still remain a browser profile specific level.

Thank you for the reply Saoiray! I do use VPN on that device. That’s unfortunate to hear. I will open a support ticket with them regardless and see if it helps at all. Happy New Year!

Actually. Resetting the Rewards seems to have done the trick and solved the issue! My wallet is now verified. So I can consider this fixed for now! Hopefully the VPN doesn’t flag my media PC again. Thank you for the solution Saoiray!

@WarriorSackbutter Yeah, just FYI. Using VPN alone won’t get it but they do use logic. So if you’re connecting from Russia to United States to use Netflix, it might not mind. But when they see you are ALWAYS connected to United States, it starts to question why. This would be higher latency and all, so chances are you’re doing it to fraudulently access ads in different region.

Of course, part of their concern on this is advertisers are paying to target devices in specific regions. This has been going based on device Locale and IP. So if you’re using IP address to show you’re in a different country, they’d show you ads from country IP is showing. This kind of screws over the advertiser if you get paid. Of course, making it harder for Brave too.

They are making some changes to reduce this from happening, such as recent updates where we have to choose your country and the country must also match what you verify with on Uphold/Gemini. The question is then how they want to handle ads when people change IP. Two of the thoughts are (1) Pause Brave Ads so you can’t get ads if showing in IP region outside of where you’re registered OR (2) Always show you ads from your region despite your Locale & IP. They were learning more towards the second last we spoke, but no clue what’s going on with that.,

TL:DR of that is basically…if using VPN then do it for your region. If going to appear in different region/country, don’t do it too long or pause Rewards when you do. It will help reduce possibility of VPN resulting in flag.

That makes a lot of sense. Great advice, thank you!

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.