Emoji Sent Through Brave Browser Displays as Plain Text Question Marks on Other Devices

Hello!

Recently I encountered a problem with Brave as I was using Messenger. When I send an emoji through the Brave Browser and it looks fine on my end, but it is displayed in the recipient’s end as plain text question marks (???). There’s no box surrounding the question marks to indicate that it’s an emoji, it just shows up as plain text.

I know this is a Brave problem because I tried to send emojis in Microsoft Edge, and it looked fine on both browser and mobile. It is only through Brave that I encounter this problem.

I tried deleting and redownloading Brave, and I’m still presented with the same issue.

To paint a clearer, picture, here’s what my situation looks like:

edit: after a short while, the emojis on Messenger in Brave browser disappeared as well and is replaced by “???” text

How can this issue be reproduced?

1. Go to Facebook Messenger through Brave Browser
  2. Send emojis
  3. Check these emojis on phone and on browser.

Expected result: The emoji will appear as 4 plain text question marks (???)

Brave Version( check About Brave): Version 1.15.76 Chromium: 86.0.4240.111 (Official Build) (64-bit)

No one, not even the page admins, were replying to me with regards to this issue.
I finally figured it out myself though, and I’ll be sharing in case any one else is experiencing the same issues.

It turns out that this was being caused by an extension, specifically the “Unseen for FB” type of extension. When I disabled it, the emojis were displaying fine in both desktop and mobile. I decided to remove it all together.

I hope this helps out other people who visit this thread trying to find a similar answer.

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.