Embedded Twitter videos do not work/play on websites

Troubleshooting technical issues is much easier when both the user and support agent practice clear communication. For this reason, we have provided the template below for you to fill out with information about your issue. Please provide as much detail as possible so we can most efficiently resolve your problem.

Delete the any text above the line separator below before posting

Description of the issue:
How can this issue be reproduced?

1. Click the play media button on embedded Twitter video

Expected result:

Embedded Twitter video plays.

Unfortunately, all I get is the audio playing with no video to be seen.

Brave Version( check About Brave):

Version 1.1.23 Chromium: 79.0.3945.88 (Official Build) (32-bit)

Additional Information:
See this webpage for example: https://www1.cbn.com/cbnnews/entertainment/2020/january/diamondbacks-star-recalls-incredible-encounter-with-god-on-minor-league-baseball-field-that-changed-his-life-forever

or this webpage, also:

In Settings, Sheilds. Ensure you enable Twitter under social

It is enabled if I am understanding what you are saying.

I view sites regularly that embed Twitter videos, and Brave is just not able to handle it at all in a proper user-friendly manner. It is sadly making Brave not usable for me. I hope Brave can remedy this soon; this is an all too common trait for news articles.

Here is a test I just did; https://secure.fanboy.co.nz/gif/embedded-twitter.gif

Unless there is another extension causing an issue, it should perform fine.

Thank you, but your gif did not show you clicking on the video play link. When clicking on that, the problem presents itself as I described earlier.

Okay, retested with playing videos and skipping through videos. I would try a new profile (with embedded twitter enabled).

https://secure.fanboy.co.nz/gif/embedded-twitter2.gif

@treego14,
I just helped another user who was having trouble viewing embedded Twitch videos – the solution we came to was to disable Hardware Acceleration that seemed to cause the conflict.

Can you try disabling Hardware Acceleration in settings to see if this resolves the issue?

You’ll find this in Settings --> Additional Settings --> System --> Hardware Acceleration

OK, thank you, fanboynz … I will research how to do a new profile.

I started a new profile and it works just fine in the new profile.

I don’t know why a new profile works and the old profile doesn’t. The settings are no different for this sort of thing as far as I can tell.

1 Like

Hardware Acceleration was already disabled for me.

I have to start a new profile every week or so to avoid this problem. Somehow, the profiles are getting messed up and not allowing this to work properly as I have identified at the beginning of this thread.

A new profile always allows this to work fine for a time until it somehow gets corrupted again for this situation.

It seems there is a bug in Brave with this.

Unless there an extension or a windows tool (ccleaner, anti-virus, firewall etc) causing it?

I have no extensions or Windows cleaner tool. I do have Symantec Endpoint Protection Small Business Edition, though, FWIW.

@treego14,
I would recommend you try – on your main profile – clearing all browsing history and seeing if that resolves the issue. If the video/site always works fine with fresh profiles, it’s probably bad cache data causing the conflict.

I deleted the main profile before this after creating a new profile
that worked for awhile until the problem popped again approximately a
week later in the new profile which was the only existing profile at that point.

Well, my new profile was working fine for one day for embedded Twitter videos like this:

until today …

This is disappointing and frustrating … I guess I will go back to Vivaldi for now.

Clearing all history for all time including cache and images, etc. on any and all profiles makes no difference.

The only thing that will work is creating a new profile.

@treego14,
This doesn’t seem to add up. I’ll have to reach out to some other team members and get more eyes on the issue. I don’t know what about the new profile causes the behavior to change/work

Was reported by other users on Chrome. https://www.reddit.com/r/chrome/comments/8eemt4/twitter_videos_and_gifs_not_playing/

Is this similar to what you’re having?

Thank you for your attention to this matter! :slight_smile: