Download slow for Beta

The beta version I downloaded from here installs very slow.

I have 200mbps internet, downloading should be finished under 20 seconds, this is unacceptable.
Please use an edge cache CDN, this is so sllowwwwwwwwwwwwwww.

1 Like

@loltyler1, we do use an edge cache CDN.

It certainly shouldn’t have taken you that long. I’ll need some more information if you’re able to provide it:

Local - What region are you based in?
Time - How long did it take to complete? Have you tried since then?
VPN - If you’re using a VPN this may cause slower-than-expected download speeds. Did you have one running at the time of download?

Asia Pacific region
About 50 minutes, the beta browser window popped up before the progress bar reached 100%, so I closed the installation.
Did not use VPN for downloading the browser.

Flipping heck 50 Minutes! @loltyler1 Did you download it on a Linux distro by any chance?

Yeah that’s way too slow. What OS are you using?

@loltyler1 If you are using a Linux distro, there’s an issue created on Github for it. If you’re not, I suppose its best keeping this topic opened to investigate further.

This is going to sound silly but if you are on Linux, just as a test, download the MacOS or Win10 version. It should be significantly faster, right? You may have to find those version though as the download page usually switches to a version orientated for your particular OS.

https://github.com/brave/brave-browser/issues/1360

I’m not using Linux distro.

Today I tried to install Brave v1.0, same issue.

Apparently Fastly is trash in South East Asia, it’s so trash your Brave website front page takes 1 min to load.
Please use Baidu CDN or Aliyun CDN for that area, it’s the native edge cache provider, Fastly is throttled to shit there.

@loltyler1, sorry to hear about that. Unfortunately at this current time I dont have much I can offer you. I know that we’re looking into other platforms in the future but I can’t confirm anything.
Thanks for reaching out and hopefully we can resolve this by the time 1.0 proper rolls out!

Hi @loltyler1 just out of curiosity what is the closest server to you here Network Map | Fastly and is that server way off?

Major server infrastructure providers/services that are based internationally (US) but have locations the UK are usually parked in London and the services I believe for many people around the UK maybe even as far as Scotland or just south of Scotland are usually optimal and efficient enough, so I was wondering why is it that Fastly isn’t working as good as other similar non-east-asian-based providers if they have already have a couple of dedicated server infrastructures in that region?

One other question to @Mattches, the speed presented above is still surprisingly slow especially for a non-Linux user, would it be good to further troubleshoot/debug if there is another issue at hand here after this issue in Github is closed
or perhaps even put an investigation label on it? - Include Linux Packages into Fastly's edge cache CDN · Issue #1360 · brave/brave-browser · GitHub

The closest fastly node to me is Hong Kong node, but it’s slow AF.
You want to be fast in east Asia you need an Asian CDN, Fastly is not fast here, it’s crap.

You assumed I downloaded from UK but I’m not, I’m just tunneling.

I’m having this issue as well. I have the browser on my android. It’s great. But… when starting the download from the installer, it pops up, shows the download for almost 2 hours, and nothing… it just sits there saying “Downloading”. I have windows 7 on a i7 Dell Latitude, my download speeds are great, fiber optic. Any tips on what I could do?

Are you located outside the US @sergioalan?

Hey! No, I’m located in Washington DC.

Hmm, interesting. Are you running your connection through a VPN service?

Hi @Mattches
I’m located in Germany and brave.com is very slow for me for days now. It takes 20 seconds to load the front page of brave.com. Downloading the browser takes about half an hour. I don’t have problems with any other website or service so it might be a problem with your CDN.

@knatter,
Thanks for reaching out – I’ll look into this on our end.
I asked OP about this as well but can you confirm for me whether or not you’re using a VPN?

Thanks for your response. No VPN on my side. I only have a slow connection to brave.com and when downloading the browser.

For example look at the speed when downloading Brave Beta:
86kb/s is really slow for my connection (it went even to 50kb/s later). Any other download I start downloads with about 10mb/s:

Edit: I don’t have slow downloads when I download the installer from your github repository. Only the links on brave.com are slow.

Not sure if you changed anything but today the download speeds are normal. I will report if anything changes again.

1 Like

@knatter,
Thank you for the update!
Glad things are working faster for you now.

I have a similar issue. Windows 10, South Korea, Not using VPN.
I was installing it from the official Brave website and the estimation time took so long (moving between 23 min - 53 min - 3 hrs), I took a nap for several hours and woke up, the install screen shows “Downloading…” and the progress bar is somewhere at 20%. Now I can’t take screenshots, the Brave browser is somehow kinda installed, it has a shortcut icon at desktop, I opened up some websites with it and it worked, but everything is now lagging when using my computer and the installation seems to take forever.