Download button from referral link goes to blank "unknown platform" page on Linux

Description of the issue: People on Linux clicking the “Download Brave” button on my referral link get a blank “unknown platform” error page.

Steps to Reproduce (add as many as necessary):

1. Visit a publisher referral promo link from a browser on Linux (tested with both Chromium and Firefox)
  2. Click the “Download Brave” button

Actual Result (gifs and screenshots are welcome!): You are redirected to a blank “unknown platform” error page at this address: https://laptop-updates.brave.com/latest/linux64

Expected result: Browser is downloaded

Reproduces how often: Always

Brave Version(about:brave): N/A

Reproducible on current live release (yes/no): N/A

Additional Information:

Hi @Deimos,

AFAIK, referral link is not supported for Linux users. But let me cc @Mattches or @kamil for confirmation.

:slightly_smiling_face:

@eljuno is correct; the referral promo is not available for Linux users. Sorry for the inconvenience!

That’s fine, but it would probably be good to handle it in a better way - indicating on the initial page that your platform isn’t supported and/or not having a download button, or maybe just a more explicit error message. Currently it seems more like something is broken than expected behavior for Linux users.

2 Likes

Hi @Deimos,

I agree 100%, we should probably be showing something better than just a blank page with unknown platform text. I’m going to point the referral team to this issue and suggest that we improve that page to at least let Linux users know that the referral program doesn’t work on Linux in a more constructive way. Really appreciate the report :+1:

Edited: Mentioned the above issue to the team, we’ll be addressing the problem.

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 60 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.