Because I was experiencing some bugs from the latest version, I tried downgrading Brave on macOS to try and reproduce some issues. As a result, I lost all of my bookmarks
Steps to reproduce:
- Have bookmarks added to your Bookmarks Toolbar.
- Download a .dmg release version lower than your current version: https://github.com/brave/browser-laptop/releases
- Unpackage the .dmg to reveal Brave.app
- Move Brave.app into Applications folder for macOS, replacing/downgrading Brave.
- Open up Brave. Bookmarks should be gone.
Just wondering if this was a design choice, as things like settings/Brave payments history are not wiped during downgrades. Also, as I was upgrading one of my laptops, it crashed during the upgrade and bookmarks were lost.
If Bookmarks were not saved inside the Brave.app directory, I feel like this issue would not exist. I’m wondering how many other people have crashed on upgrade and lost their bookmarks as a result of where they are stored.