Does receiving of Brave Rewards NOW require Authentication as being MANDATORY?

Is it now Mandatory for our Brave Wallets to be Verified before we can receive Brave Rewards?

I for one, do not like being forced to use services I do not wish to use.
Especially when those service just assume everyone has a Mobile phone for 2FA authentication.
And while there are Authentication dongles available, they are ridiculously expensive with no guarantee they will actually work. And you cannot active them without initially logging in, which again requires a mobile phone.

1 Like

It depends on what you mean. As it has been discussed in FAQ and all, you must be verified IF you want to receive BAT in a way that you can then convert it to cash. If you’re using it for services within Brave, such as tipping content creators, then you do not have to be verified.

Apparently that is not correct.
I have not received Brave rewards since March.
So it appears that Brave wallets MUST be verified in order to receive Brave rewards.

Verification itself is problem.

Both Uphold and Gemini require 2FA authentication via a mobile phone to open an account. And although you can use a verification dongle, you can’t set it up with out first opening the account using a mobile phone, to get to the relevant security page.
NOT every-one owns a mobile phone. I certainly don’t

Internal verification within Uphold and Gemini for non-US citizens requires a Passport and Drivers License. Again, not every-one has a Passport and not every-one Drives a car, so not every-one has a Drivers License.

For those of us non US citizens who lack a mobile phone, passport and drivers license, verification with Uphold and Gemini is impossible.

1 Like

Nah, it’s 100% correct. We just have to talk and find out what your issue might be.

And where are you expecting to receive it? If you’re not verified, you would have it in your browser. If not, then there’s other things to look at and try to figure out.

Incorrect. You receive BAT in your browser even if you never verify anywhere. HOWEVER, as I stated, you WILL NOT be able to convert that to cash for yourself. The only thing you’d be able to do with it is tip content creators.

Maybe so, but you don’t have to use Uphold or Gemini unless you plan on converting it to cash or use it for some other purpose than tipping content creators. If you wish to do those things, then you’ll have to look at ways to sign up with them.

That’s due to laws enacted by governments to prevent funding terrorists or other criminal organizations. Passports can be easily obtained and most governments have Photo Identification cards you can get that ARE NOT driver’s licenses.

Correct, if you lack those things then you can’t verify with Uphold or Gemini as legally required. This means you wouldn’t be able to have accounts with them and would not be able to turn BAT into cash. YOU CAN however still use Brave, earn Brave Rewards (if you’re in a supported region), and use that BAT to tip people.

I would expect the Brave rewards to appear in my browser wallet. Nowhere else.
The figure in the Browser wallet has not changed since March.
When I checked the statements for April and May nothing was deposited,
even though Brave rewards were expected.

So the only thing I can see that stops this is lack of verification.
I think if you review your processes, you’ll find that is now a requirement.
Brave support confirmed this in a recent email to me. It is now Mandatory.

Where I live a Passport take 12 weeks to obtain and costs around $350
A drivers license is worse, although its license cost is lower, the mandatory lessons required push the costs north of $1,000 not including the license fee itself which is $287.80

For people who don’t have the documents listed on their requirements page, it becomes ridiculously expensive, especially when most of us are only receiving 0.25c worth of rewards per month. Not very cost effective at all.

Words might be a big difference. Just so you know, if you’re talking the actual Brave Wallet, it won’t ever appear there. It just will remain within your browser in Brave Rewards at brave://rewards/

Each month when it pays out, you would have to Claim it and they have been forcing people to do a little captcha I think, where you have to drag the triangle to get it. I haven’t been unverified in a long time, so I can’t say with certainty, only remember people talking about it and not sure if it’s every time or on occasion.

I think you might just be confused and/or you misread what was said. As we cleared up, the verification is required IF you are using Uphold or Gemini. Otherwise it’s not. And they don’t plan on making it a requirement at all. This has long been discussed. Brave doesn’t want to worry about MSB/MTL and don’t want to have to KYC and AML. Otherwise they would have moved into THEMIS and all.

Themis => decentralized ad buyer performance verification. Doesn’t help with compliance, nothing does. LN doesn’t help, nodes must be licensed MSBs or MTLs which means they will have to KYC for AML and sanctions

And in terms of Brave Wallet:

BAT Rewards come in the form of virtual BAT (vBAT) until you verify with an exchange. When you verify with an exchange, your vBAT gets deposited there and converted to real BAT. The step for going to an exchange is required for AML/KYC reasons. We’re looking at the decentralization process for Brave ads rewards as part of Themis

Brave Wallet is a self custody wallet and therefore we cannot currently pay to it for the user rev-share for ads. We would need to KYC/AML your address and may also need a money transmitter license to do so.

So if they were going to be forcing you to verify your identity and all, they would just be paying directly to Brave Wallet.

brave://rewards/
Yep that’s where I would expect to see it.
Guess what. Nothing has changed in that area since march.
The Capture to claim rewards has not appeared since march.
So there has been no way to claim rewards.

Something is wrong with the process. I don’t use Uphold or Gemini at all.
So I have NO verification and as the Capture does NOT appear I cannot claim rewards.

1. Where do you live? (what country/region?)
  2. Are you seeing ads?
  3. Do you use a VPN?
  4. If you go to brave://rewards/ and then click on 30-day Ads History, do ads show up? If so, do they say Viewed?
  5. If you go to https://sampson.codes/brave/ads/my_region/ does it show things available in your region?
  6. Are you using the most recent version of Brave?
  7. Since you haven’t mentioned, I’m guessing it’s not telling you that you’ve been flagged?

Those are some baseline things to figure out. Also important to note is if your device Locale doesn’t match with your IP address (which is why ask about VPN), then you won’t earn BAT from ads and can get your account flagged. Also, if you have anything that is stopping notifications from Brave, you won’t earn money because it won’t be able to display ads. So little things like that I’m asking to rule out or not. And it’s also important you know like if your computer says you’re English-US but you’re in India-US, it will be seeing United States for Locale but then India IP address and you get nothing. So Time Zone, Language, and IP all should be showing the same area.

If you kind of go through all that and know you’re in a supported region, have nothing blocking, and all that stuff…then next part you’d do is submit a ticket at https://support.brave.com/hc/en-us/requests/new?ticket_form_id=360001302431 and the team will get to you ASAP. Be mindful it can take a few days or weeks as they handle requests for everyone.

1. Where do you live? (what country/region?)
    AUSTRALIA
  2. Are you seeing ads?
    YES
  3. Do you use a VPN?
    NO
  4. If you go to brave://rewards/ and then click on 30-day Ads History, do ads show up? If so, do they say Viewed?
    YES
  5. If you go to https://sampson.codes/brave/ads/my_region/ does it show things available in your region?
    YES
  6. Are you using the most recent version of Brave?
    YES
  7. Since you haven’t mentioned, I’m guessing it’s not telling you that you’ve been flagged?
    NO IDEA WHAT THAT MEANS

Everything was working okay up till April. That’s when it stopped working.
Claim “button” has not appears since march

And it looks like failing again this month as well.

And of course it has failed again.

That’s 3 months in a row that Brave rewards have failed to come across.

The Button "If you do not have a verified wallet, you will need to go into your Brave Rewards settings and look for a “Claim your ad earnings now!” button." Does NOT appear, which makes it impossible to claim rewards!

And yes, it has definitely failed again, 3rd month in a row.
Something definitely wrong with the system.

Did you ever create the ticket as I suggested?

Yes I did and that got nowhere

Send a DM to @Mattches. Let him know the Wallet ID and all that you find in brave://rewards-internals and let him know when you submitted a ticket. I’ve tagged him here too so hopefully he can see it.

How do I do that?? I don’t how to DM some-one

There’s lots of ways, but for now I’m just going to go with the easiest. You see where we did @ Mattches, right? If you click there it will open up a little window. You’ll see the option to Message there. Click that and it will start a message to him. DM = Direct Message, which is what that would be. The option will look like you see below.

Now that is useful.

I had no idea you could DM people.

DM sent.

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.