Does brave still use the sugarcoat feature?

Hello,

I recently came across Brave’s paper regarding Sugarcoat and its implementation and I was amazed by the feature.

I was wondering if Brave is still shipping with this feature, as I have read in this article that it has been rollbacked recently and I was not able to find any news of its release.

Similarly, I saw that in the repository for brave, the brave-sugarcoat.txt file only contains 2 websites for the feature.

Thank you for any clarification on this matter! I would also like to inquire where I can raise concerns as I am trying to replicate the sugarcoat-pipeline and there seems to be an error within its unit tests.

Thank you once again!

Let me tag in @Mattches on this as I’m sure he’ll have more info for you or can at least tag in the right person/people who can help on more info.

I’m actually not sure about the status of this — asking the team now

2 Likes

Yeah, sugarcoat-pipeline fails unit tests because of underlying changes in the pagegraph files we generate when we crawl a website. These changes are pretty down in the weeds of sugarcoat, so it’s on my list of things to get to, but I just haven’t had time to get to it.

1 Like

I see, is there anything I can do to help? I would love to contribute to it in my free time.

https://github.com/brave/sugarcoat is the underlying sugarcoat code, which currently fails on the new type of PageGraph graphs. You can test this out by running the tests on sugarcoat-pipeline, like you said. Another way of doing it is to point pagegraph-crawl to any website; this will generate PageGraph graphs for that website, and you can then debug running SugarCoat on those graphs.