Does Brave disable all the bad aspects of Chrome? See recent article in WaPo

Should I move to FF or does Brave disarm Chrome fully?

1 Like

Not very helpful reply. Iā€™m an avid Brave user, but the article gives me pause.

@BraveNew

agreed.

@Pitosalas

I think that I have resigned myself to the fact that this isnā€™t actually possible at the moment. Unless one is an I.T. wizard and can write script into oneā€™s own system. Despite which Iā€™m still trying to get the differences between Chrome, Chromium, google chrome and how many other similar terms. Now is Chrome the ā€˜open-source-softwareā€™ root script? :roll_eyes: Doesnā€™t matter how much I read, the information doesnā€™t have a vehicle in me to nest in. :rofl:

Whatā€™s been helpful to me has been to realise that these matters are an ongoing battle, that the helpful reply I would be looking for would be instructions on how to miraculously transform myself into a hollywoodesque-type ā€˜hackerā€™ who knows how to outwit and triumph over the whole, jolly ā€˜thingā€™. :anguished:
Sometimes I wish such a chap would just come walking up my driveway, knock on my door and offer to be my lifelong friend and digital companion so that I could become his most outstanding protege.
:leaves:

1 Like

Posing this as an ā€œeither - orā€ choice is disingenuous.

If you have the storage capacity, thereā€™s no reason to not install multiple browsers and select which is most appropriate for a specific task. If you have the processing power and bandwidth, thereā€™s no reason to not have multiple browsers open and on-line at the same time. Selecting one browser as your default doesnā€™t limit you to only one browser.

If you do stroll down the multiple browser path (or even if you donā€™t), I suggest not tethering yourself to a specific browserā€™s integrated password manager. Just as there are many browsers ā€” each, with strengths and weaknesses ā€” thereā€™s competition amongst password managers. Check 'em out.

2 Likes

@Pitosalas
Or, you can be your own password manager, by managing passwords in your own document manually.

:smiley:

Hi,
in my estimation, it will be properly ā€œdefusedā€. For example, lines have been removed from the source code that send data to Google.

The third last update also changed the private surfing within Brave, because Google had its fingers in the game.

You can get more information directly from the Brave people :slight_smile:

2 Likes

@Pitosalas,
The article linked above has several resources describing the things we remove from the Chromium backed. For your convenience:

Also related:

Since Chromium (what Brave is built on) is open source, itā€™s entirely possible to look through their code and see if they have any questionable APIs or questionable potentially nefarious code for data mining. Iā€™d imagine someone would have posted an article or post on the subreddit if there was some proven violation of any kind.

If weā€™re to trust Brave on their word of making a truly private browser, one can assume they dug through every inch of the open-source code to ensure all of that stuff was removed. Would look really bad on them if they touted all this privacy talk and then are found mining data or leaving in malicious code from the library.

2 Likes

Load up the extension from adnauseam.io and fill their databases with garbage! Be the GI in GIGO. It is a way of fighting back so threatening to Googleā€™s business model they banned it from the Chrome store. I run 3 browsers, Brave, Chromium & FF.

PS. As far as I know Brave & Chromium donā€™t track like Chrome does.

There were some articles that came out a few months ago talking about Brave talking the last step away from Google by not using some Google service like ā€œDNSā€ servers for look up or something like that? I could be having the name totally wrong? Maybe someone in the community knows what Iā€™m talking about? But if this is true then Brave has no ties to Google at all.

This topic was automatically closed 60 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.