Dns resolution on wifi bypasses vpn provided dns

Troubleshooting technical issues is much easier when both the user and support agent practice clear communication. For this reason, we have provided the template below for you to fill out with information about your issue. Please provide as much detail as possible so we can most efficiently resolve your problem.

Description of the issue:
I connect to a persistent openvpn for android tunnel that provides dns and routes to my corporate network in a split tunnel configuration. If i use any app such as juich ssh, or a network test tool, im able to connect to hosts via dns name. However in brave and chrome, i get an error about dns resolution.

How can this issue be reproduced?

1.connect to split tunnel openvpn while on wifi or ethernet
2.load webpage of host behind vpn dns
3.repeat dns error
4.disconnect wifi to cellular
5. Load the same page, dns resolves correctly

Expected result:
Brave queries the vpn provided dns server

Brave Version( check About Brave):

Mobile Device details
Android 13 samsung zfold, isshe has occured for about 2 years on different devices

Additional Information:
While this happens in chrome upstream, hopefully this can be resolved in the brave project

1 Like

This is very useful information

What if you turn off Private DNS? If you want brave to use a custom DNS or the VPN DNS then you will need to turn off private DNS.

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.