Display full URL

I used to have this disabled in flags, as stated by others as a web developer I find this very annoying and completely unnecessary.

Aside from the annoyance of trying to select text, and then the text jumping away from my cursor. Being able to see the full url at a glance as a developer is a must have.

I don’t care if this is a default, but don’t remove the option to disable this stupid behaviour.

Yes! This is an huge issue as a web developer not seeing the complete url. If this doesn’t get solved shortly I might have to look for an alternative browser.

2 Likes

I had the same problem on chrome.
This official Google extension does the trick and display the full url : https://chrome.google.com/webstore/detail/suspicious-site-reporter/jknemblkbdhdcpllfgbfekkdciegfboi

1 Like

I never understood the existence of hiding parts of a domain.
If you want to secure something, it should be very clear what you are working on.

Same as Windows that is hiding the file extensions by default, I think this is UX choice above Security. Opening “Paris” can be Paris.jpg as well as Paris.exe and you are not able to see it without enabling the extension.

1 Like

Please change that for Brave and always show the full URL by default. At least make it configurable.
Please give this a very high priority! Please!

1 Like

Hiding parts of the url is just not acceptable. I’m not using ANY browser that does this.

1 Like

megaspaz
April 16

There’s a link for an extension that gets rid of this…

2nd reply with better wording. I should not need an extension. Shortening the URL is just an idiot mind phuck, like carboard coasters under a coffee cup on a plastic table. It does not need to be done in the first place. Just try to resist the urge to phuck with everything, especially the URL’s, and more so, when it serves NO functional purpose. Your solution is to do ONE more time, energy and resource wasting “stupeed sheet to do” - to ask questions, get told to go link hopping to the extensions page for a phucking extension, and then install that, when the URL’s should not be getting phucked with in the first place… Just turn off this idiot idea to chop up and only display part of the URL.

1 Like

Hello, I have tried to have the Brave browser display the full URL but what I have found as solutions seems to be outdated for example brave://flags. I search for them and there is none of the following: #omnibox-ui-hide-steady-state-url-trivial-subdomains #omnibox-ui-hide-steady-state-url-scheme To clarify I just want the full URL displayed by default without having to go into the search bar and double click it. The abbreviation is very annoying. I must be missing something. Any help would… There’s a link for an extension that gets rid of this… 2nd reply with better wording. I should not need an extension. Shortening the URL is just an idiot mind phuck, like carboard coasters under a coffee cup on a plastic table. It does not need to be done in the first place. Just try to resist the urge to phuck with everything, especially the URL’s, and more so, when it serves NO functional purpose. Your solution is to do ONE more time, energy and resource wasting “stupeed sheet to do” - to ask questions, get told to go link hopping to the extensions page for a phucking extension, and then install that, when the URL’s should not be getting phucked with in the first place… Just turn off this idiot idea to chop up and only display part of the URL.

@Kuntsium,
First, just because you phonetically spell your strong language doesn’t change the fact that you’re using strong, unnecessary language. Please be respectful and ensure that what you write in Community threads is something helpful, constructive, and/or encouraging – otherwise it’s probably better you don’t say it :slight_smile:

As for the full URL request – we have an open issue to add this feature, although it hasn’t seen much traction as of late. I’ve added this thread/your report to the issue on Github for the devs to see:

1 Like

I made an account here just to make this comment.

This is very important. I also am a web developer. Not seeing the protocol is a kick in the pants. It should be shown all the time. And it should default to on all the time.

This is an issue worth forking over. I would happily leave Brave or any browser for one that shows the full URL.

2 Likes

@timkoop,
I’ve added your report to the thread as a +1 on your behalf.

@timkoop,
Seems that this issue is actually set to be resolved with the release of Chromium 83 – which we should inherit at the time of release. Appreciate your patience.

1 Like

For anyone following along, I’m able to turn this on in Brave now. Opening up brave://flags and searching for omnibox-context-menu-show-full-urls and setting to enabled is the first step. Then restarting, right clicking the URL bar and selecting “Always show full URLs” is the second.

1 Like

It works! Thanks!

The JSON is minified, though. So I’d recommend using some kind of JSON editor to edit it carefully. Saving the edited JSON as a non-minified JSON seems to be okay (Brave will minify it afterwards).

This topic was automatically closed 60 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.