Dev tools extensions broken

Seems that the latest version (0.68.138) has broken some developer extensions. Eg. “React dev tools” are broken. Each time you open the extension it shows “Welcome…” message and if you change settings there they are not saved between sessions.

This seems to be caused by some changes in security. E.g. dev tools extensions have no access to (their) window.localStorage:

Uncaught DOMException: Failed to read the 'localStorage' property from 'Window': Access is denied for this document.

Steps to reproduce:

1. Install React dev tools extension
  2. Visit some page with react components (e.g. facebook)
  3. Open dev tools (Ctrl+Shift+I)
  4. got to “Components” tab - “Welcome…” message is shown
  5. close dev tools, open again and “Welcome…” is shown again
  6. Press Ctrl+Shift+I to open “dev tools on dev tools window”
  7. In console switch to React dev tools context (panel.html)
  8. type window.localStorage and press Enter
  9. exception is shown

It works OK in Chrome.

Note: latest release of React dev tools (4.1.0 - 9/19/2019) is still broken, but they have dropped “Welcome…” message. Here are updated steps to reproduce:

1. Install React dev tools extension
  2. Visit some page with react components (e.g. facebook)
  3. Open dev tools (Ctrl+Shift+I)
  4. go to “(React) Components” tab, click on “View settings” and change something - e.g. Theme to Dark.
  5. close dev tools, open again and check “View setiings” - all changes there are lost.
  6. Press Ctrl+Shift+I to open “dev tools on dev tools window”
  7. In console switch to React dev tools context (panel.html)
  8. type window.localStorage and press Enter
  9. exception is shown

This seems to affect any extension that adds tabs to dev-tools window. These tabs run in some very restricted security context that brokes their functionality…

I have checked this in version 0.68.137 - there it works ok.
It is broken since version 0.68.138 (at least on Windows 32bit).

This topic was automatically closed 60 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.