Death White Screen

Death With Screen when launching Brave

Steps to Reproduce (add as many as necessary):

1. I don’t know exactly how it happens…

2. I didn’t want to loose my bookmarks and password, so I try to launch again Brave but without successful even with a new install.

3. So I’ve started to find if it’s a corrupted file was the origin of the issue

4. C:\Users\Nicolas\AppData\Roaming\brave\session-store-1 was the origin of the issue because when I rename it, Brave could be launch successfully, except I’ve loose all my data…

5. So I check the file which is JSON, but the file is not corrupted and the format is correct.

6. Then I removed a lot of time some blocks of the JSON format of session-store-1 file and each time launch the Browser

7. Finally I isolated the issue then launch again Brave to get this :

8. I deleted the following entry in JSON.cache.bookmarkOrder.“0”[4] :
    {
    “key”: “72”,
    “order”: 4,
    “type”: “bookmark-folder”
    }

9. What I’ve remember before to close the browser just before the Death White Screen is to try to remove Misc > Misc folder :
    Brave-Right-Click-on-Misc-entry

10. I’ve made a Right-Click on the Highlited Misc entry, then I’ve got a contextual menu (by the way the bookmark menu has been closed)

11. I don’t remember If I selected Edit or Remove Bookmark.

12. I done a lot of things after, Also add a new bookmark in Misc (not Misc > Misc) folder

13. I close the Browser, then I got the Death White Screen when I wanted to open it again.

Actual Result (gifs and screenshots are welcome!):
Brave-Death-White-Screen

Expected result:

Reproduces how often:

Brave Version(about:brave):

Brave 0.25.2
V8 6.9.427.23
rev 8ea2a9c
Muon 8.1.8
OS Release 10.0.17134
Update Channel Publication
OS Architecture x64
OS Platform Microsoft Windows
Node.js 7.9.0
Brave Sync v1.4.2
libchromiumcontent 69.0.3497.100

Reproducible on current live release (yes/no):

Additional Information:

Hello,
as you can see under Brave Version (about:Brave), you are still using the older Brave that is not based on chromium. Follow these steps here, and check if the problem still occurs (after you have installed the latest version):

I will try this evening because I need to go out…

MediaBird, Are you sure about the Brave and Chromium from my version (libchromiumcontent 69.0.3497.100) ?

Effectively, at this moment we can’t update from 69 to 70 when we try to update from the browser.
So as you’ve suggested, I’ve installed the new 70 version from the website.

But it does not suggest to import bookmark or any other data from the 69 Version of Brave, only from other browsers…

It seems that there is no Brave Sync to import bookmark or I didn’t find it.
EDIT : Yes there is an import bookmark and setting from Brave, I didn’t saw…

Also I’ve tried to find where the user data is stored because I’ve looked in C:\Users\Nicolas\AppData but nothing except the old version C:\Users\Nicolas\AppData\Roaming\brave

Do you know or somebody know where is the session-store-1 or similar file for the version 70 of Brave in order to try to reproduce the issue ?

It’s not about “libchromiumcontent” but about “Brave 0.25.2”.
I couldn’t read from your text whether you already installed the current version. But the 0.25.2 version should only get an update for updating to Chromium, no features, bug fixes etc… This also means that if you find a bug in the old version, and it is not included in the latest (Chromium) version, it will not be fixed either.

Look at it like with Microsoft and Windows.
XP is no longer supported, there are no security updates(!) and certainly no feature updates.

Check the chromium version to see if the problem is still there. If no, you don’t need to reproduce anything.

This topic was automatically closed 60 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.