Data disappeared

Description of the issue:
So I turned on my computer today and all of my stuff was gone, almost as if I had just installed the browser. My rewards were saying start collecting rewards (although they show up now) but all my extensions are gone, the ad blocker, bandwidth and time saved counts are all reset too. I tried having a look at the files to see if I could find my extensions by name at least (I know what they do I just don’t remember their names off the top of my head so I can’t really go and install them again). Has anyone had this issue before? Or knows if there’s a way for me to see what extensions I was packing
Steps to Reproduce (add as many as necessary): 1. 2. 3.
Just run Brave?
Actual Result (gifs and screenshots are welcome!):

Expected result:
Tracker number to be considerably higher, I had like 2 gigs on bandwidth saved and 5 something hours I believe? Also I had a ton of extensions which aren’t showing up anymore
Reproduces how often:
Just this once
Operating System and Brave Version(See the About Brave page in the main menu):
Latest ( Version 1.47.186 Chromium: 109.0.5414.119)

1 Like

One more thing, my extensions are actually somehow running but they’re not detected in the extensions tab. I noticed because one of them is a dark mode one which tends to have issues and try and convert images.
Actual:
Expected (if my extensions were gone):

Hello, try searching ‘extensions’ in settings, then click ‘manage extensions’ , then clear the extension(s). Sometimes they don’t appear on front page, but are actually still installed on web browser.

I see your problem, it may just be a error in downloading or if you used ‘system cleaner’ or ‘ccleaner’, … you might of cleared your temporary files, including your browser files. Sorry you will have to download everything again if this is the case.

Hey Samuel, that second image is actually from my extensions page in settings, they don’t show up but they’re still active somehow. I also haven’t used one of those and since they’ve been installed for quite a while I don’t think that’s the issue

Since you lost all data, it might be a good idea to re-download brave.

Hello there @brrbrtt please accept my apologies for this inconvenience. Could you please double-check that you are located on your main profile? You can check it by going to Main menu > Create new profile

Let me know if that works.

Hey Kevin. I am on the main and only profile. I was able to get my extensions back because Chrome Web Store had a list of the extensions I’ve downloaded on the library, so I’ve got them back now. I just can’t pin extensions now
A better example is:
That’s one of the extensions I had pinned before, but now I can’t pin it anymore

1 Like

Hi again, try removing that extension and install it again to see if you are able to pin it to your Browser, from my end I was able to pin it when right clicking on it.

Yes this worked! Just one more thing before I mark this as the suggestion. I only use Brave on private mode and now when I click run Brave on private window it no longer runs, instead I need to open it normally and then Ctrl Shift N to open a private window. Any chance you know how to fix this one?

1 Like

@brrbrtt does this option work on other chromium based browsers such as chrome? If it does, try installing the Beta or Nightly version of Brave to see if the issue persists on those versions.

Uhh I’m not sure as the only Browser I have is Brave (and Edge by system default). It used to work straight up but now it doesn’t anymore. If I install those versions of Brave, do they carry over my data? Is there a way to quickly transfer it or would I need to go and grab it from the current Brave’s folders and throw it on the new version?

It’s just bookmarks (real quick), extensions and passwords so if not I guess I could do it with a bit of time

1 Like

You can export and import your browsing data, and also you can connect them through our Sync feature.

Let me know if that works.

Brave Beta doesn’t even have the the option to do it from the taskbar, just the normal Brave

1 Like

@brrbrtt could you please try it on a different Chromium Based browser such as Chrome, Edge, etc., to see if you are able to open Incognito mode from the taskbar?

I can. And I used to be able to do it with Brave too

I can and I used to be able to do it with Brave too

1 Like

Thanks for the information, I’ve shared this with our team and I’m waiting for further information on the matter. Once our team has answers, I will get back to you as soon as possible.

@Kevin_cc have you ever seen this issue?

I figured it was my extension which wasn’t appearing on extensi8ons after my data disappeared, but I reinstalled the extension and images were still doing it which bothered me so I went to give it a try and disabled all of the extensions I have on Brave, images would still invert in colour, and weirdly enough only parts of images, for example in the FIFA cards I showed earlier, only Keita and his kit got changed

1 Like

same happened with me today

1 Like