Current version fails to open Fike:///main.html homepage

Purchased a new Oneplus 10 Pro phone (Android) and loaded your Brave browser… Everything works as expected except the homepage option.

Brave’s homepage option worked perfectly for years on my old Oneplus 7 Pro, which is very similar to my new 10 Pro.

As an experiment, I upgraded Brave to the current version on my old phone… The homepage option now fails exactly the same as my new phone… This leads me to think there might be hiccup in your current code.

The error is: ‘Access to the file was denied.’

The link I use is:
file:///storage/emulated/0/sync/main.html

If I right click on main.html in a File manager and select Open, the main.html file opens correctly in Brave… That’s how I am currently using Brave on my phones.

You have a great browser… I hope you can fix this!

-ben

1 Like

Hello there @TampaBayBen please accept my apologies for this inconvenience. Please try installing the Beta or Nightly version of Brave to see if the issue persists on those versions.

Be waiting for your response.

I downloaded the Beta a few minutes aga and get the same error.

I downloaded the nightly version and also get the same error.

When I upgraded my old phone to the new version of Brave, it started to fail also… I included a screen print of the error with the nightly version of Brave on my Android 13 phone… Hope this helps!

@TampaBayBen More than anything, let me slow down and ask. What are you even trying to do? I mean, sounds like you’re not using Brave’s default homepage and you’re not setting it for a website either. I have no idea what you’re trying to do by linking to file:///storage/emulated/0/sync/main.html.

I mean, you’re saying everything else works as intended, right? But your Homepage setting is set to file:///storage/emulated/0/sync/main.html and you’re sharing it’s not working? Or am I not seeing it properly and am missing something?

I’m using the file:/// option to start a local html file as a homepage… A portal in effect.

This option has worked in Brave since I started using it… Until recent upgrades.

1 Like

@TampaBayBen Is the HTML file you’ve set for homepage still located on the same directory? If it is, try creating a copy of the file and setting that copy as your homepage to see if you get redirected.

Created a copy named… test. Html with the same results.

Also put the file in a new directory with the same results… The same access error and html file does not display.

@TampaBayBen Just FYI, most likely won’t get any responses from Brave for a few days. Usually Support isn’t active on the weekends to begin with, but with holidays, some also are taking PTO. I imagine earliest you’ll hear from anyone might be Monday if you’re lucky.

Also, come Monday or Tuesday, might help to “bump” this topic by replying here again, just in case any of us have forgotten about it. (posts/topics add up, it’s easy to lose track sometimes)

1 Like

Thanks… Will do… Happy holidays!

1 Like

Tried all the suggestions given so far.

Any chance that some of the Brave homepage code could have been changed recently?

Older version of Brave opened the HTML file correctly… Upgrading to the most recent version of Brave broke it…

The newer versions of Brave fail to open the HTML web portal file.

1 Like

@TampaBayBen does the same issue happens if you set a different page or URL as your homepage on your mobile device?