Ctrl-Q Hotkey Immediately Closes Brave Without Confirmation

Hello,

After some, mystifying, “crashes”, I’ve noticed that Brave is coded to, immediately, and without notice, kill its processes upon the pressing of the “Ctrl-Q” keyboard input. Which, nice to know now, but, this is, perilously, adjacent to the, totally innocuous, and often used, “Ctrl-A” (copy all) keyboard input.

I know, “become a better typist”! But, if you could make more clear in settings how hotkey assignment might work, and or, add a popup that questions total shutdown in the case of a typo, that would be greatly appreciated.

Best

Hi @promet,

Thanks for the feedback. There’s an issue about this here

I added your +1 to the issue and you can follow the progress there.
Best,
:slight_smile:

Don’t feel as if you need to become a better typist promet! As you said, Ctrl+Q is close to Ctrl+A and a simple mistype shouldn’t be punished so severely. Especially considering Ctrl+Q is also adjacent to Ctrl+W (which I typed as Ctrl+Q twice before getting it right) and Ctrl+S as well.

Chugwig,

Thank you for the reprieve, :joy:! I have returned though, because this has, just, happened to me again (I had a good run…).

Guys, if you could just edge a “warning pop-up” confirmation for that Ctrl-Q, 1ee7-level-cold-shutdown, I would be, forever, in your debt (in $BAT)…

Figured I’d let anyone who winds up here in the future know that as of the new Chromium based Brave release, there is no longer a CTRL + Q keybind that will shut down the whole browser without a prompt.

What a relief!