Creating bookmarks takes a LONG time!

I think this is a bug in the code because it is happening on multiple computers. But when I try and bookmark a page by clicking the little “star” next to the address field, it takes over 30 seconds to just open the dialogue and then another 30 or so seconds to browse to the folder location where I want to save the bookmark. Plus I can hear my system fans turning on high indicating a massive CPU load!! This is a major deal breaker for me and will definitely push me very far away from Brave (back to chrome) if I can’t figure out why this is happening (or if this is a general bug in Brave that doesn’t get addressed.) I think Brave is great except for that, I don’t want to sit and wait and stare at my screen for over a minute and consume massive CPU power to just leave a bookmark! Something is WAY off here. Anyone else having this issue? I figured I’d at lease post it here before switching back to chrome as patience is running out, I leave many bookmarks, quite often, so this is lowering my quality of life… I think it may have to do with the Brave “sync” feature recently added. Not sure though…

Thanks

Bookmarks Editing VERY Slow
Bookmark editor is very, very laggy
Edit Bookmark is painfully slow...Why?

I’ve had the same issue. Is this something that started after importing a lot of bookmarks? I think for me it might be a combination of “sync” with a large number of bookmarks. Does this issue ticket cover the problem you’re experiencing?

Yes, this does describe my issue and it is certainly relevant. Is there a fix? It really is a deal-breaker for me, I’m not going to keep waiting for bookmarks to save, it takes WAY too long, I’d rather just use Chrome.

Looks like it’s being planned for v1.0.0 milestone but hasn’t been assigned yet. I’ve tried tinkering with the preferences to see if there’s a setting which dodges the delay but haven’t been able to find one. I’ll post to the ticket mentioning that this performance hit is (understandably) a deal breaker for some users. If it’s appropriate then the developers may expedite a fix. We’ll have to see.

N.B.: I just started seeing the slow bookmark creation issue last night, when I went from 63 bookmarks (added directly to Brave during prior use) to 4,488 bookmarks (after importing bookmarks from Chrome last night). Total time to get the “create bookmark” window after clicking star on address bar went from “quick” (fast enough that I didn’t think much about it) to ~50 seconds, plus another ~30 seconds to add the bookmark after clicking Done. Haven’t seen the delays in Bookmark Manager noted in referenced Github post, so maybe the work to date has lessened that. Current Brave version (after upgrade this morning): 0.15.0; rev 71fb730.

I’m having the same problem that describes the OP It takes 50s to add a new bookmark. Don’t think this problem have been fixed in the PR that closes the issue mentioned here. Will open an issue with my computer characteristics this night. Someone still having this or its only me?

pd: Brave version 0.17.13

This happens on my Macbook Pro too. Processors heat up and a significant delay for the bookmark dialogue to even show up. Then an additional delay after selecting the done or cancel button. In my case, it was slow from the beginning, when I had very few bookmarks.

I experience the same delays using the Bookmark Manager.

Given that this is still unresolved (base post is in early April, I’m posting at the end of July, running .18.14), has anybody discovered any useful workarounds? I tried starting up a second window to do my bookmarking there, but the UI was frozen in the original window until the bookmark dialog responded.

If you write new bookmarks into a new profile, is there a good way to merge those back in?

Is it possible that a fix to avoid blocking windows that aren’t doing anything with a bookmark is simpler than a fix for the bookmark performance issue?

I’m just fishing for a way to live with this until it gets better.

[later edit: after perusing the status of related bug reports, I went to the Releases page and downloaded 0.19.1beta. Not great, but a considerable improvement (for me, anyway). And with any luck, I won’t bump into anything that sends me running back to 0.18.14 :slightly_smiling_face:]

OK I don’t have a solution but a similar problem 30-40 sec freezes after every single keyboard input while editing bookmarks ( fast Intel gaming PC, w10 pro 64 16G memory), It is a deal maker for me too .
So I just uninstalled Brave in spite its nice ideology, which I downloaded today :frowning:

Just downloaded the beta 0.19.1 amd 64.deb.
The lag on editing bookmarks has now vanished, :grinning:

Brave 0.19.1
rev 2ee7a49
Muon 4.4.4
libchromiumcontent 60.0.3112.78
V8 6.0.286.44
Node.js 7.9.0
Update Channel beta
OS Platform Linux
OS Release 4.4.0-87-generic Ubuntu 16.04
OS Architecture x64

This is August and it is still painfully slow, to create a bookmark. It reminds me of why I used Chrome.

@banko 0.19.1 isn’t general release yet, but it does contain some fixes.

For everyone else, thanks for your patience. We’re aware of how painful this is and we have some freshly merged code which fundamentally changes how we store and retrieve bookmarks. It’s still in alpha so it’ll take a little more time to get through QA to make sure we’re not horribly breaking things.

It’s currently slated for 0.21 https://github.com/brave/browser-laptop/issues/9978

We’ll need some folks who are experiencing the worst of it to help us test after the basic kinks are worked out. If any of you would like access, please let me know and I’ll be glad to walk you through it when that build is ready.

Thanks!

I would love to try a beta and see if it solves the bookmarks problem.
This is the single major deal breaker for me on Brave. I have a couple thousand bookmarks imported from Chrome and adding a new bookmark is a 2 minute process, which is not something I can live with currently.
I want so badly to embrace Brave across all of my workstations and platforms, but this is a serious deal breaker for me…

Please ping me if I am a worthy candidate for a beta… Thanks.

Name Version
Brave 0.18.22
rev d850e28
Muon 4.3.9
libchromiumcontent 60.0.3112.90
V8 6.0.286.52
Node.js 7.9.0
Update Channel dev
OS Platform Microsoft Windows
OS Release 6.1.7601
OS Architecture x64

I am happy to join a Beta / Testing group as well - Especially when it comes to bookmarks.

Have been in the Netscape / Mozilla / Firefox camp since Netscape Beta release 0.93 and am an extensive bookmark user / sorter / organizer. Slow performance / lack of features is a show stopper for me.

Not sure if related, but with 1 window and 2 tabs, why are there 9 background processes?

Brave 0.18.14
rev ad92d02
Muon 4.3.6
V8 6.0.286.44
Node.js 7.9.0
Update Channel dev
OS Platform Microsoft Windows
OS Release 10.0.10586
OS Architecture x64

same issue here

Name Version
Brave 0.18.16
rev 8003c66
Muon 4.3.6
V8 6.0.286.44
Node.js 7.9.0
Update Channel dev
OS Platform Linux
OS Release 4.13.0-041300rc4-generic
OS Architecture x64

Same slow performance issues here on mid August on a newest Macbook with MacOS 10.12.5 - running Brave 0.18.14 which is the latest according to the Look For Updates function. I only have about 200 bookmarks in total with about 9 folders at the top level on the bookmark menu bar.

Another wrinkle I have found is sometimes when you create a new Bookmark sub-folder using the Bookmark Edit window, it actually creates multiple folders (sometimes 5 or more) with the same name.

Overall Bookmark Edit responsiveness seems to get worse the longer the browser session is running on the computer - maybe suggesting a memory leak of some kind.

for me - Brave performance slows to a crawl and a force quite anytime I attempt to add or edit any bookmarks. Sometimes just opening the bookmarks viewer does it.
Running on OSX 10.12.6

Also having painfully slow bookmark issues: Freezing when attempting to add/edit. I have 1011 bookmarks in 53 folders, all imported from Chrome. I had three tabs open and managed to add one bookmark after seven-eight minutes. Attempted to add another bookmark to the same folder, but browser froze after clicking into the Title box, and no response after fifteen minutes. Killed Brave via Task Manager, tried again, same result, killed it again.

Brave: 0.18.23
rev: 36ae2ec
Muon: 4.3.10
libchromiumcontent: 60.0.3112.90
V8: 6.0.286.52
Node.js: 7.9.0
Update Channel: dev
OS Platform: Microsoft Windows
OS Release: 6.1.7601
OS Architecture: x64

I like Brave otherwise, but this will keep me using Chrome until it’s fixed.

please refer the post above by @alex.

the performance issue will be fixed soon, after 0.21 is released.

Updated to 0.18.23 rev 36ae2ec and editing bookmarks is better but still very slow. AND it continues to be more of a performance issue the longer the browser is running (its faster after initial load and slower after having the browser open for several hours.) . Still sounds like a memory leak to me.