Create Shortcut (Open as Window) Apps won't open in Brave [mac OS]

Description of the issue:
After I create a shortcut of a website and try to open it (in /Users/user/Applications/Brave Browser Apps), it won’t open. The app’s name flashes in the macOS’s Menu Bar and disappears. It is obviously trying to open itself but then it crashes.

Examples: https://web.whatsapp.com/ , keep.google.com, etc

How can this issue be reproduced?

1. Open a website, go to Menu > More Tools > Create a Shortcut.
  2. Give the shortcut a name, check “Open in a window”, click Create.
  3. Folder “Brave Browser Apps” opens, your new Web.app is in it. Double-click on it, it won’t open.

Expected result:
Double-clicking the newly created shortcut should open the website.

Brave Version( check About Brave ):
Version 1.25.70 Chromium: 91.0.4472.77 (Official Build) (x86_64)

Additional Information:
The checkbox [open in new window does matter

I found two similar issues, but I cannot reproduce the solutions of the first one and the other doesn’t have any solutions =(

1 Like

Yes, my request (2nd link you posted) was closed due to inactivity. Dear brave team, I hope you like spam, because I will spam this thread to avoid auto-close. You might want to overthink the way you treat your users.

Pisses me off. I use nativefier to circumvent this issue, but this will not protect my privacy.

1 Like

@rolia,
Thank you for reaching out and for providing a nicely detailed report.
So can you confirm for me that this happens for all sites? On my end, I just tested this on this site (community.brave.com), (twitter.com), reddit.com and Brave.com and they all worked without issue.

1 Like

Sorry for a timed answer

Yes, all the sites, i’ve made a video

1 Like

It happens on almost all sites for me. Note that we are on macOS and not Windows or Linux.

1 Like

@rolia,
I’m wondering if there is an extension you have installed that is interfering with this process. Can you please try creating a new temporary browser profile and test to see if you get the same behavior? Please ensure that you close your original profile window, such that you only have one Brave window open, which is using the newly created profile.

1 Like

No luck =(
Window still crashing

@rolia,
It looks like we do actually have an issue open for this – I’ve added your thread to the Github issue and pinged some devs to see if we can get additional eyes on the issue:

2 Likes

Great! Now if I close BetterTouchTool everything works! Thanks

As far as I understood no chance to use BTT with Brave Shortcuts at the same time?!

1 Like

have you seen the solution below? Is it good for you?

using BTT here, so that’s probably it, but I require it. Chrome window shortcut apps work without problems, so this should be fixed for sure.

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.