Crashing at night on odd-numbered days during hardware video acceleration usage

Description of the issue:
Brave will crash to desktop without prompting a crash report or providing an error message. When restarting Brave, browser recognizes the crash and prompts to re-open tabs, which thus-far has always been successful.

According to brave:crashes (screenshot below), the errors have all occurred between 11:30 p.m. and 2-ish a.m., on odd-numbered days only. Weird!

My usage during these hours is not markedly different from daytime usage – I typically have two-to-six tabs open at any given time (or more during work hours), spread between two windows on two monitors. One window is always a Private window, since I am always signed into two Twitter accounts at a time. I work in the games industry so it is also very common for my system to be running a game in full-screen or borderless windowed mode on one monitor, with these Brave windows running in the background and on the other monitor.

All of the crashes that I’ve experienced have happened either while Brave is running behind a game, or while Brave and VLC player are running at the same time. Brave is always running video content (typically a Twitch stream) when these crashes occur. This leads me to believe that the issue may have something to do with Brave’s hardware encoding option, which I’ve had enabled up until now. After tonight’s crash, I’m disabling it to see if that makes any difference.

What’s confusing to me, is why these crashes don’t happen during the daytime. The conditions under which Brave crashes are replicated multiple times throughout my work day, and everything holds together fine. Furthermore, when Brave does crash at night, it seems to function normally right until the crash – there’s no freezing, impeded responsiveness or any other indications of trouble, just the instant closure of the program.

Steps to Reproduce (add as many as necessary):

1. Run multiple tabs/windows of Brave, with at least one running a Twitch stream, and at least one Private window/tab open, logged into one Twitter account in each type of window, between 11:30 p.m. and 2:30 a.m.
  2. Run any game that utilizes the system’s dedicated graphics card OR play a video in VLC with hardware-accelerated decoding enabled
  3. ???
  4. Crash

Actual Result (gifs and screenshots are welcome!):

Expected result:
Continued normal functionality

Reproduces how often:
Every other calendar day

Operating System and Brave Version(See the About Brave page in the main menu):
Windows 10 Pro, Version 1809, Build 17763.503
Brave Version 0.63.55 Chromium: 74.0.3729.131 (Official Build) (64-bit)

Additional Information:
AMD Ryzen 3 2200G
Gigabyte Aorus Radeon 580 Series 8G (Radeon Software Version 19.5.1)

This topic was automatically closed after 30 days. New replies are no longer allowed.