Crash to Desktop on Lastpass Extension Installation in 0.55.14 (Fixed in 0.55.18)

bug

On Version 0.55.14 Chromium: 70.0.3538.54 (Official Build) beta (64-bit), installing Lastpass from the Chrome Web Store results in the .crx file showing in the Download Progress bar, after which Brave crashes to desktop.

To reproduce, import all settings from a Chrome Browser profile, then install Lastpass from the Chrome Web Store. Brave will CTD 100% of the time.

Hey @zxvt,
The issue your describing was known:

However it should have been fixed with the most recent update. Have you downloaded the stable release (v0.55.18)?

1 Like

Will try with 0.55.18 should I find it, Brave Beta says it’s up to date at 0.55.14 and that is the version that is downloaded from the Brave Beta website. I’ll keep looking for the update. Thanks!

1 Like

Repositories here:

Also on our main download page now!

1 Like

Thanks!

Confirmed working in 0.55.18 - although I lost my profile and all plugins on installation, it definitely works.

1 Like

Your lastpass profile or Brave information?

I have the same problem with installing Lastpass, I also have version: Chromium: 70.0.3538.54 (Official Build) beta (64-bit).
Unfortunately I can’t seem to update to 0.55.18 either, going through menu->About Brave.
I noticed there was someone else in another thread just recently who also had problems with updating Brave.

After reading this thread I’m hesitant about installing 0.55.18 by downloading the binaries, I don’t want to lose any settings etc.

I’ll wait a couple of days before trying again and try to live with the inconvenience.

I Just thought you should know.

Thanks for all your efforts, you’re doing a great job.

*** EDIT ***
I get the following status when trying to update Brave in-browser:

An error occurred while checking for updates: Installationen misslyckades. Försök igen. (error code 7: 0xA043090B – system level).

/David

If you’re using Brave Beta, you will not update to the stable release. Brave Beta will stay on its own channel which updated to v0.56.5 as of today.

The stable release, v0.55.18, can be downloaded from our github repo or from the main download page on the Brave website.

We’re working on a way to import all data from Beta/Dev into stable but for now, you may have to do this manually. At the very least, you can export your bookmarks from Beta and import them into stable.

2 Likes

I installed from main download page as suggested. It all went well, Lastpass and everything working as expected. Settings and bookmarks preserved also.

1 Like

You’re so welcome!
Enjoy your privacy!

1 Like

When I installed 0.55.18, it was only available to download via Brave Beta - which meant my Brave Profile and plugins did not carry over. I later was able to download the Stable which had all my original settings/plugins. I’m not sure how to sync my brave profile.

Sync is still being worked on and will hopefully be fully implemented later this year. Until then, if you want to move your Beta information over into the release build, you can try manually copying over your local data from Beta to RC.

For Windows, naigate to
/users/[yourusername]/AppData/Local/BraveSoftware/Brave-Browser-Beta/UserData/
This should be the folder with all your stored profile data. Copy it over to the equivalent directory for release build (/BraveSoftware/Brave-Browser/UserData).
Let me know if this works for you.

If you’re on macOS, navigate to
/Users/[yourusername]/library/Application Support/BraveSoftware
From there everything should look the same, but there’s no additional “user data” directory.

Let me know if you need further assistance.

2 Likes

Oh, also make sure you make copies of everything. In the event something goes wrong I don’t want you to have to reinstall and reset all your settings!

1 Like