Crash after first letter in new tab address bar


#1

Just updated to latest version. As soon as I press ctrl-T to open a new tab and type 1 letter of my domain name in the address bar, the entire browser locks up and I have to end task.

Edit: Out of curiousity, I left it alone “crashed”. After waiting for some time, eventually the address history flashes and you can type again.

Edit 2: After about a half hour of operating like this, it seems to have cleared up. Closing and restarting the browser restarts this whole process. Maybe some weird startup glitch?

The last two builds have also had some type of memory leak where if you open a new window (ctrl-N) and close it, and then do it again, and then close it (I work this way on projects), eventually brave is using 3GB or so of memory and will no longer open new windows forcing an end task and restart after you do so. At the time this is occurring my 64 bit Windows 7 OS has many GB of free memory available.

Quality going down from original builds. Would prefer less builds and higher quality please.


#2

I have the same problem after updating to latest version. Address bar becomes unresponsive after typing the first letter.

OS: Windows 10 Home x64
Brave version: 0.20.29


#3

I also have the same problem. Even though it was fine just before updating. Running on Mac OS X Yosemite, with Brave version 0.20.29.


#4

Same problem on macOS 10.13.13. Just upgraded, froze like a few seconds after first letter.

I restarted Brave and then it was gone, but address bar still felt a bit less responsive than before, like there was a small delay. Even if this is a “quick fix” to have to restart Brave after you just updated, this really needs to be fixed immediately.


#5

I just tried to reproduce this issue with downgrading and re-upgrading, but I am unable to do so. It might be a jump from a specific version up to the latest. Will update when I find out more info.

Edit: I cannot reproduce this. If anyone is able to, please let us know! I’m wondering if it’s a side effect of the old versions taking up memory or something (due to reports of memory leaks/crashes) and maybe it was a byproduct of transitioning from a leaked-state into the new one?


#6

Yeah, same here. Can’t reproduce, it’s back to normal now. Not sure what fixed the problem.


#7

No problems here running on macOS 10.13.4 beta (build 17E139j):

Brave: 0.20.29 
V8: 6.4.388.40 
rev: 4fc3c8ff3bcb6af75088b125e00d3a70382b9bec 
Muon: 4.7.9 
OS Release: 17.5.0 
Update Channel: Release 
OS Architecture: x64 
OS Platform: macOS 
Node.js: 7.9.0 
Brave Sync: v1.4.2 
libchromiumcontent: 64.0.3282.119

#8

Same here. Typing first letter results in a long delay.

MacOS 10.13.2

Brave: 0.20.29
V8: 6.4.388.40
rev: 4fc3c8ff3bcb6af75088b125e00d3a70382b9bec
Muon: 4.7.9
OS Release: 17.3.0
Update Channel: Release
OS Architecture: x64
OS Platform: macOS
Node.js: 7.9.0
Brave Sync: v1.4.2
libchromiumcontent: 64.0.3282.119


#9

i was able to make it temporarily go away by going to settings>search and disabling show history matches.

to make the problem go away permanently, I did multiple things:
a) cleared history
b) changed fingerprinting protection to "allow all fingerprinting"
c) go to advanced, disabled spell checking and disabled “sending anonymous crash reports to brave”

one of these or a combination of these actions fixed the crashing.


#10

This topic was automatically closed 60 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.