Country mismatch error despite countries being the same

Briefly describe your issue:

I am originally from South Africa. Now I’ve moved to the United Kingdom. While living in South Africa, I registered for Uphold and Brave and connected my Brave wallet to Uphold successfully so that I was receiving BAT into Uphold.

Now that I’ve moved to the UK, I contacted Uphold and asked them to change my address to my UK address. I supplied them with my UK residency identification and they successfully changed my address on Uphold to my UK address. I have reset my Brave wallet and entered my country in the UK.

Now when I try and connect my Brave wallet to Uphold, it says ‘Error: country mismatch’ despite my Uphold Country and my Brave country being the same and me using United Kingdom identification to verify my Uphold account.

What Operating System and Brave version are you using (Menu --> About Brave)?

macOS Ventura 13.0.1.

Brave Version 1.51.114 Chromium: 113.0.5672.92 (Official Build) (arm64)

Is your Brave Rewards Profile currently verified? (yes/no)

no

What date did you connect a your Brave Rewards Profile?

N/A. Issue with connection. Last time I tried connecting was 15/05/2023

Have you been able to successfully receive payments in the past?

Yes, but in South Africa. Not the United Kingdom.

Are you using a VPN? (yes/no)

no

Are you in a supported region (see here for list of supported regions)?

yes

Does your device pass the SafteyNet check (Android only)?

Apple device

Have you fully completed Uphold’s CDD requirements?

yes

Unfortunately, brave rewards connection doesn’t work that way. Even though your address is in The UK now, your ID for KYC/AML is still from South Africa therefore will be seen as south Africa. Brave backend checks for ID nationality not address.
Steps to solve are at

hello when I try to link my brave and uphold account there is the error that says that the country of the 2 accounts must be the same, but I’m sure it’s the same, do you have a solution?

And in case it is an error on my part how can I check the country assigned to the brave rewards please?

Go to brave://rewards-internals

That did not help me, it says I have a country mismatch when both of my accounts (uphold and brave) both are in the US.

Do you have a passport from the United States? Have you ever submitted a passport or other ID to Uphold from another country?

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 60 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.