Could not install on Ubuntu 20.04

I just upgraded to Ubuntu 20.04 from 16.04.
Then I just re-installed Brave Browser.
The Brave lion icon appears in the Applications box, but it does nothing when clicked. The clock spins for 2 or 3 seconds, then nothing.
Since I have all my user data from the previous Ubuntu , that is everything in the home (i.e.~) directory, preserved, perhaps Brave is confused insofar as it has a set of configurations it doesn’t know how to use. I don’t know, just speculating.
Advice with the ultimate goal of getting Brave Browser up and running painlessly would be more than appreciated, thank you,
Joe

1 Like

@JoeM,
When you say you “re-installed” Brave, what method did you use to do this? And if you have all your Brave ~.config data saved, did you simply copy/paste/replace it over the new installations User data file?

Hi, I went to this page:
https://brave-browser.readthedocs.io/en/latest/installing-brave.html#linux
Then I followed these instructions:

sudo apt install apt-transport-https curl

curl -s https://brave-browser-apt-release.s3.brave.com/brave-core.asc | sudo apt-key --keyring /etc/apt/trusted.gpg.d/brave-browser-release.gpg add -

echo "deb [arch=amd64] https://brave-browser-apt-release.s3.brave.com/ stable main" | sudo tee /etc/apt/sources.list.d/brave-browser-release.list

sudo apt update

sudo apt install brave-browser

And I don’t know what you are talking about with Brave ~.config and what am I supposed to copy/paste/replace. There are no such instructions like that on your web page.

@JoeM,
Are you just trying to reinstall the browser – that is, install the browser fresh without any personal data from your previous installation?

Well, yes, that. Re-install it. So I can use Brave Browser again to browse the internet And one hopes to recover what little BAT I have. I do have my BAT mnemonic saved.

@JoeM,
If that’s the case, simply un/reinstalling the browser (again) should resolve the issue you’re encountering where the browser doesn’t launch. Can you try again and confirm whether or not that’s the case?

How do you uninstall?

Okay, never mind. That was a rhetorical question. I’m trying with “Ubuntu Software”. Hope that’s the right way.

Hi I uninstalled by going to Ubuntu software then clicking uninstall for Brave.

Then I re-installed using the same instructions I found on

Then I got this screen:

Hello!
I was having the same problem, but one solution is to install it using
sudo snap install brave
Hope this temporarily solves your problem!

@Velocity,
We actually recommend not installing via snap – this is because we do not officially support it and the versions offered there may not be up to date, which could lead to important security fixes not being applied.

@JoeM,
So it looks like an error was encountered after installing that forced the browser to crash. Do you get the same message any time you try to launch the application?

Yes, Second time, I got the same message. Third and subsequent times, I get nothing. It just does not launch. I have no process running with name containing “brave”.
After a re-boot, upon clicking the Brave lion icon, I get a spinning cursor for about 5 seconds, then again, nothing.
I will refrain from trying Velocity’s snap install method for the time being.
Thank you for your continued help.

Hi @JoeM,

One of our team have installed Brave locally on Ubuntu 20.04 and report that it is working normally. I wonder if you could run the command brave-browser from the terminal and list any errors that appear. When you start Brave from the window manager you may be hitting errors that are not visible, and running it in the terminal could help us determine what is going wrong for you at launch.

Thanks,
-Matt

joe@joeslinux:~$ brave-browser
/usr/bin/brave-browser: line 48: 11990 Trace/breakpoint trap (core dumped) “HERE/brave" "@”

Hi there. I’m running Ubuntu 20.04 with Brave successfully. I’m thinking there might be an incompatibility between your old browser profile and the new version. Could you try the following?

$ cd
$ cd .config
$ mv brave brave.bak

Then launching brave-browser again?

Alas still no. But this time a different trap code:

joe@joeslinux:~/.config$ mv brave brave.bak
joe@joeslinux:~/.config$ brave-browser
/usr/bin/brave-browser: line 48: 26882 Trace/breakpoint trap (core dumped) “HERE/brave" "@”

Maybe you can show me how to get rid of all traces of the old brave? Maybe that would help?

There was a typo in @bkero’s instructions, the correct path is ~/.config/BraveSoftware/.

So to move your old profile out of the way:

cd
cd .config
mv BraveSoftware BraveSoftware.bak

Then you can try running brave-browser again.

1 Like

Finally, that worked!

Thank you. Thank you.

I just have one more issue which I hope you can help me. I had some small amount of BAT in the browser from before. I followed the prompts to restore my BAT wallet on uphold.

I am having trouble with the authentication code. The page is asking for a 6 position code. Where as Authy has a 7 position code. And I have always known the uphold code to be the oddball with 7 characters. Please help.

1 Like

Just sit and recall everything to see what fits for u

baby

Thank you, love. Will do.

And problem solved. There are 2 uphold validators apparently. One has 6 digits. That worked for me.

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.