Copy and paste from mouse stopped working

Description of the issue:
Paste from mouse using the middle button stopped working in the latest version.

Steps to Reproduce (add as many as necessary): 1. 2. 3.

  1. browse to a page with a text widget
    (such as
  2. select some text in another window with the mouse
  3. hover over the text widget and click the mouse’s middle button

Actual Result (gifs and screenshots are welcome!):
nothing happens

Expected result:
the selected text should be pasted in

Reproduces how often:
every time

Brave Version(about:brave):

Version 1.16.68 Chromium: 86.0.4240.111 (Official Build) (64-bit)

Reproducible on current live release (yes/no):
the same thing happens on brave beta

Additional Information:
this is on a linux mint system, if that matters

Can you test the behavior in another browser like Chrome and/or Firefox? It’s also worth noting that the “middle-click to paste” option is not a standard feature (at least not to my knowledge) so I cant personally reproduce this because my middle-click has never been configured to paste text.

hello @Mattches @alijc

i checked the site using latest version of brave and centos linux and it work fine here

maybe issue with cache or extension

so try to disable all extention and try in private mode and see if it help

and have a nice day both of you

1 Like

It’s been standard functionality on Linux systems for years and years : ) Mouse highlight text (left click and Hold, then drag to highlight, then release), then go somewhere else and middle click … CTRL-C not required : )

But I don’t see where OP stated they are using Linux. but assume so …

1 Like

Thanks for clarifying.

It still works in firefox. (It used to work in brave, until the most recent upgrade.

Tried disabling all extensions and bringing up a private window. No change.

I’d installed the brave beta yesterday morning and tried it, and could’ve sworn that it failed. But I tried it again in the evening, and was surprised to see it working. Maybe I just imagined the failure and the bug is only in the latest stable release.

So, today I started the process of switching over to beta. I brought it up and checked to make sure that it was still working. Then I imported my bookmarks from the older brave and rechecked. And it failed.

Closed the window and restarted it. And it worked.
Closed the tab and brought it back up. And it failed.
Closed the window and restarted it. And it failed.

At which point I gave up. Brave sounds like a great idea, but there are too many problems and too little support. I’ll switch over to firefox.

This topic was automatically closed 60 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.