Cookies gone, private browsing & shields up: website still knows it's me

I went into the ‘cookies’ in Settings and deleted everything there.
Exited and then went back in to check. Found no Verizon cookies.
Is there anything else that could/should be done?

Visit Verizon website, click the lock icon on left-side of address bar --> site settings --> reset permissions

@Mattches Thanks. I think I better wait to do that. Verizon’s IT dept. was working to fix a problem with my online account access (i.e., to my account at MyVerizon.com).

I was advised yesterday to wait until next Thursday to try logging in.

I don’t know what effect, if any, reset permissions might have on what they did/are doing, but I don’t want to take any chances. Very difficult company to deal with in terms of customer service.

Once I have full account access back I’ll try resetting permissions.

I suppose one could reasonably conjecture that what they were doing may have been involved with, or even caused, the issue I reported here. However, I don’t know when they began doing anything, probably only on Thursday, so it seems to me the issue pre-dated any intervention by them.

If I can resurrect this topic, even after resetting permissions for Verizon using your instructions, I am still somehow recognized with a ‘Welcome’ message that uses my name.

This is after I’ve first selectively deleted all Verizon cookies, ensured that I have Shields Up & accessed the website in an incognito window.

Any further thoughts as to how Verizon is able to do this?

Can it somehow be related to Verizon also being the ISP?

Thanks.

I think that this is the most likely case here – I’m unable to reproduce this on any level and the only thing I haven’t been able to try is this because I don’t use Verizon as my ISP.

Did you ask them specifically why this is happening? They may be able to confirm one way or another.

i think this should be the case my isp does something similar

Thanks. On the phone account side it’s not possible to get to any Verizon tech staff directly, so it’s unlikely I’ll be able to get a definitive, let alone consistent, answer from customer service personnel, but I’ll try (again).

Shouldn’t using BRAVE’s maximum security/privacy settings shield me from the ISP as well as from websites, etc.?

Verizon.com rejects any attempt to access it in a Private TOR tab, btw.

> i think this should be the case my isp does something similar

What does your ISP do?

In my case I’m recognized just by going to Verizon’s website, and Verizon is primarily for phone services, not ISP (except for FiOS which I don’t have because it’s not yet available to me).

IOW, I’m not navigating to a webpage that’s specifically for the ISP, but am still recognized.

I bet if you tried to visit the site while using a VPN this would not occur.

Willing to try. Are there any VPNs you recommend?

Do you mean using a VPN together with a TOR tab, or does the VPN eliminate the need for TOR?

Also, can’t websites detect & block traffic routed through VPNs?

I’m pretty sure that the BBC’s website states that it does that for content that it limits access to based on geographical location (i.e., that’s intended only for users in the UK).

This topic was automatically closed 60 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.