Cookie management privacy regression

Description of the issue:
It used to be possible to go into Settings | Privacy and Security | Cookies and other site data | See all site data an permissions and view/manage individual cookies. This was important to being able to selectively remove cookies for a particular URL, and was useful for clearing certain cookies like PHP session ID data that had expired and was interfering with login to a related site. Now, instead of allowing individual cookies to be reviewed, only a summary statement like 183 KB - 5 cookies with a Clear data button is shown. This means that not only can one no longer see any information about what cookies exist, but one can only delete ALL cookies. This is not only a regression by reduction of functionality, but frankly is a regression with respect to privacy as Brave is now hiding specific details of stored cookies.

Steps to Reproduce (add as many as necessary): 1. 2. 3.
Settings | Privacy and Security | Cookies and other site data | See all site data an permissions

Select and fully expand a domain where cookies exist.

Actual Result (gifs and screenshots are welcome!):

Observe that individual cookie detail is missing.

Expected result:

Individual cookies for a domain are able to be interacted with.

Reproduces how often:

Always

Operating System and Brave Version(See the About Brave page in the main menu):

Windows 11
Version 1.46.144 Chromium: 108.0.5359.128 (Official Build) (64-bit)

Additional Information:

Unsure where this broke, but this is especially annoying because it was already harder to find cookie management than it was in Firefox, and now the fine grain control is completely gone. I feel that this is unlikely to be a platform-specific issue, but I also care about this on Linux.

A workaround is to turn on Developer Mode though the workaround is not straight-forward to find if one is not familiar with these tools.

1. Hamburger Menu
  2. Extensions
  3. Developer Mode

To access cookies for a particular domain:

1. Browse to the domain
  2. Ctrl-Shift-I
  3. Network Tab (if not immediately visible, under >>)
  4. Storage category
  5. Cookies

From there, right-clicking on a particular cookie offers a delete option.

Apparently this is reported as an issue on GitHub:

https://github.com/brave/brave-browser/issues/27150

@Brayvin,
If you’re using the desktop version, you should still be able to see this information by going to the site in question, clicking the “lock icon” then on Cookies:

That said, you are correct that the behavior has changed — I believe we have inherited the Chromium behavior with respect to what is shown in these menus. I agree that this information should be available without having to visit the site but I can’t say how re-adding this functionality would be prioritized, but I have let the team know.

Thank you for pointing this out.

Thank you for taking the time to reply with a workaround that is easier to use than Developer Mode.

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.