Controlling Suggestions in Address Bar

The browser is operating 100% as intented by its developers. The developers are not interested in the immense and unnecessary agony and hassle created by the forever and constantly changing organization and scope of all the controls in settings, making it impossible for ordinary people to keep track of or find simple things.
First, why are the categories of settings listed an order that impossible know except by remembering the order in Brave Browser settings that is unique and used no where else and also updated on a random schedule?
It is not just Brave doing this, all high tech does this.
I think Microsoft started the practice in a deliberate effort to create anguish among the people their founder wants to murder.
It might have been facebook that started this practice, for the same reason.
What is wrong with alphabetical order?
Now to my immediate problem
…
Where are the controls for suggestions appearing in the address bar when entering text in there. It used to be, if I started typing a word, urls I had been to start popping in as suggestions. That became a problem, because the suggestions included a never ending supply of a politically woke suggestions I never visited and did not want to see. When I tried filtering those woke items out, I inadvertantly disabled all suggestions.
I don’t even know what ot search for in settings for this.

Can you suggest where I can go to fix this?

p.s. There is a problem with the tag choices for posting this question. MacOS cannot be used with Browser support/Desktop. Well, my mac with macos is a desktop computer, so that should be fixed.

1 Like

I do not know what you’re trying to describe here. If you’re asking why does Brave’s settings look different than other browser’s settings it’s because it is a completely different application and company. It is also not random — just as other software companies do, Brave updates the UI to match user needs. For example, Appearance is often one of the most used menu options, so it was moved to the top.

You’ll find this in Settings --> Appearance under the aptly named Autocomplete suggestions in address bar:

It is worth noting that outside of the options shown in the checkboxes, any suggestions you see in the address bar will be reflective of the default search engine you’ve chosen. So if Google is your default search engine, you will see search suggestions from Google. Same for Bing, Brave or any search engine.

If you type the word “Suggestions” into the search bar in settings, it’s the first thing that comes up:

1 Like

I am describing the poor organization of the information Brave settings.

The fact that other browsers organize settings as poorly or worse is no reason for Brave to organize its setting in a poor manner.

Thank you for answering the operational detail I was asking about. I am relieved to now be able to get to it. :smile:

NAME OF THE OPERATION THAT PROVIDES SUGGESTIONS IN THE ADDRESS BAR
I’d say the name “autocomplete” is not too bad for this. Aptly named?

DOES BRAVE BROWSER DO ANYTHING BESIDES PROVIDE SUGGESTIONS FOR ENTRIES TO THE ADDRESS BAR, WHICH MIGHT BE CALLED AUTO-COMPLETE?

When I go to my bank’s website, my username and password fields are auto completed. Is it possible to disable autocompletion of usernames and passwords for some domains? My impression is it is possible to do that, but I cannot find a way to do that in Appearance–>Autocomplete

HOW IS AUTOCOMPLETE RELEVANT TO “APPEARANCE?”

I think appearance refers how things look, When I am attempting to control the appearance of something shown on a computer screen, I think of the following features.

UPON FURTHER REVIEW, MOST OF THE SETTINGS IN THE APPEARANCE GROUP ARE NOT CONTROLS OF APPEARANCE

Adding control icons to a screen is not my idea of controlling appearance. Appearance refers to:

• Color scheme
  • Font selections
  • Height and Width
  • Spacing

Here is a screenshot of Appearance settings in Brave browser, with notes identifying problems with these settings being within a group, called Appearance.

1 Like

Found answer to a question included in the previous image:

The answer is yes. Filling in address, username, and password fields in forms using information stored in the browser’s database also is referred to as auto-complete. Controls for this other kind of auto-complete are not in the Appearance group of settings. This seems to illiterate, uneducated, low class, unintelligent people, such as myself, as an example of how the settings are organized in a way that is easier to confuse than remember entirely.

The answer to this can be based on relatively hard science. Jordan Peterson, a radical, far right extreme psychologist from Canada, explains how thousands of psychologists from around the world have developed a structured model for understanding and and doing experiments on and measurements of the human mind. My lack of education makes it easy for Peterson to trick me into thinking his description is credible and meaningful, especially when he points out that many of the psychologists who were proven to be rational and scientifically sound, unless himself, continue using that model today, for defining elements of the mind that have a measurable effect on quality of life. The psychologists who invented the model Peterson talks about required many years and interations to produce a useful model. Maybe an effort like that could develop a model for measuring the intellectual sophistication, consistency, quality, and economic value of schemes used to organize browser settings.

People opposed to a model like that can prevent the work from hoppening, especially if they have more power to influence public communications, than the proponents of such a model, by raising false scientific objections, or philosophical objections masked as part of science. NOTE: The fact that work on creating scientific models for measuring the value of one scheme compared to others, is unique to the field of organizing browser settings. Experts all agree, it is impossible for the science of climate change to be corrupted by scientists who have non-scientific motivation to distort the truth about climate change. “Climate change is the world’s most secure form of science ever invented”. Only facists have the mental derangement required to not know this fact as clearly as they know Browser settings are organized perfectly.

MY ANSWER: auto-complete of the address bar has so little connection to the principles of appearance in a browser, a useful rule of thumb is zero. Auto-complete has zero connection to browser appearance, except for the irrational decision to have placed the address bar auto-complete control setting within the appearance settings.

1 Like

The search engine can control suggestions through Top Sites, Quick Commands, and Leo AI Operative. By disabling those sources for suggestions, the seach engine is left with less power for influencing suggestions.

Thanks for your feedback! Glad you were able to find and change what you needed.

Have a wonderful day.

2 Likes