Constant Crashes on Startup vol II

it’s an old issue that seemed to be fixxed and then started happening again … -_-
I have updated the previous poster points since the old topic is locked but the situation is 100% the same!

Brave is constantly crashing daily on startup regardless of running it as admin or not.

Essentially what happens is if the browser gets shut down, and you proceed to try and relaunch it, you get a flash of the browser on the screen (literally a white screen because it happens so fast it doesn’t have time to load a webpage although you do see the Brave icon show up temporarily down on the taskbar below) and then it’s gone and automatically shuts down. Then when you relaunch a second time it always loads the browser BUT EVERY TAB YOU HAD OPEN IS NOW GONE.

The most frustrating part is typically in the past when an error occurs with the browser, or say a power outage occurs and you have to restart Windows, you could always click on History and there would be an option under “Recently Closed” that would say for instance “32 tabs”. You could click on the “32 tabs” and all of your tabs would reload. With this recent type of crash that is now occurring your tabs are just completely lost. There is no way to get them back. You literally have to load them one by one by one through your history and it’s a complete waste of my time.

Steps to Reproduce (add as many as necessary): 1. 2. 3.
(keep in mind it happens about 1 time out of 10 but it’s still too frequent)

1. Shut down windows with browser open (I use about 15-20 tabs at once)
  2. Boot up OS
  3. Start the browser
  4. browser flashes open on screen and automatically closes under one second.
  5. Restart browser and loads with all tabs missing and no way to retrieve them from history in recently closed section.

Actual Result (gifs and screenshots are welcome!):

Expected result:

Fix this issue.

Reproduces how often:

Used to occur daily but happens now about once per week

Operating System and Brave Version(See the About Brave page in the main menu):

Happens in Windows 7. Used to crash in 10 before but I haven’t noticed it anymore (I use both OSes daily)

Version 0.66.99 Chromium: 75.0.3770.100 (Official Build) (64-bit)

@yaboi,
Thank you for reaching out – these issues in particular can often be hard to diagnose. Can you tell me if you have any extensions installed currently? If so, which ones? Also, you said this had happened before and is now happening again – did this happen after updating to the latest release (v0.66.99)?

I’m running vanilla build (a.k.a no plugins)
And I have no idea if it happened after update or not, as I never know when Brave updates itself.
I just know it was a problem before, during this time: Constant Crashes on Startup
and it started again about a week ago

@yaboi,
Can you check and confirm that you don’t have anything set to be cleared on exiting the browser? Menu --> History --> Clear browsing data --> On Exit

Do you have any anti-virus software installed/running on your machine?

Yap, the list was all clear, so that can’t be the problem. Also if that were the case, I would lose my stuff on every exit. I tried closing the browser approximately ~20 times just now and it does not crash. (I don’t have "continue running on background option selected and I checked from task-manager that it actually closed).

I think it has something to do with too fast shutdown. I’m running my OS from a double raid 0 SSDs and when I give the shutdown command I can briefly see brave showing the “aww snap something went wrong” window for like 0.3 seconds. It happens from time to time and I’m not sure but I think this is the trigger for the crash on next startup when I boot my OS up in the morning.

What goes for anti-virus; I’m using Avira

I don’t know what you peeps did, but I haven’t experienced any crashes for a week now.
<3

This topic was automatically closed after 30 days. New replies are no longer allowed.