Configure Browser to not ask the user to restore all pages, just restore them by default - Browser crashed two times in a row and all tabs lost

For the past year, I have been using Brave. One thing I loved about it is tabs that I had saved open for that entire year were still open and pinned in the left side. Brave NEVER lost any tabs. Chrome would crash and sometimes I would lose the ability to restore the tabs. With Brave, that NEVER happened… until just now…

Even Yandex, a browser based out of Russia that I also started using a year ago, has NEVER lost any tabs…

What changed about Brave is when the old browser was abandoned for the new Brave, it started to ask “Do you want to restore the tabs” instead of just restoring them. Well, when the browser loaded and then immediately crashed, it didn’t ask the second time if I wanted to restore the tabs. As a result, the second load of the browser meant no reopened tabs. That frankly sucks.

So I think the developers have two options to resolve this and make the browser tab restore feature more robust:

1. Add in a setting to automatically restore tabs so we aren’t prompted to restore if we don’t want to be prompted. (If browser crashes right after loading, the tabs are loaded and will again be restored the second time). Note that the previous Brave would just auto-load the tabs… it just worked…

2. Make it so that the History saves the last few sessions so we have an opportunity to restore closed tabs if we accidentally decline the little popup.

If it happens again, I may move to Yandex entirely… After a year of not losing any tabs… ever… I am not willing to go back to the old ways…

Let me know if I can provide any additional information to help get this fixed. I appreciate the work everyone is doing on this browser. Let’s make these features solid.

2 Likes

Yes I’m fed up of Brave constantly losing my previous pinned tabs and other opened tabs for no reason - sometimes it’s a crash, others because I rebooted and didn’t close Brave first, occasionally because there was a separate window still open. At least with Chrome the history would include them as a single click restore these tabs, but that’s nowhere to be seen with Brave as far as I can tell.

I am a relatively new Brave user and am having a similar issue. I luckily haven’t had Brave crash yet (although it does sometimes cause my screen to freak out) but I am unable to close the browser without losing all my tabs. Sometimes when I reopen the browser my pinned tabs and all the tabs I left open are still there. Most of the time though they are not and I just see the New Tab page even though I have the settings set to “Continue where you left off.” When I go into my history it says there is no recent history.
I am on Version 0.66.99 Chromium: 75.0.3770.100 (Official Build) (64-bit).

Even with Chrome, my tabs would still not always reload. I took that as the norm, until I experienced Yandex and the old Brave…

Can one of the engineers reply on this issue. I just rebooted my computer, and in the background behind all of the open windows I had was Brave, with the “Do you want to restore the tabs” dialogue.

Because I’m at work and wanted to free the memory, I almost closed the browser without clicking “OK”, which would have meant lost tabs again. Instead, I clicked “OK” so the tabs would open before closing the browser…

It would be great to hear the timeline on getting this resolved and working as it did in the old Brave…

Thank you,
James

1 Like

No one has replied to this, but I think the engineers already fixed the issue! Two days ago, I noticed when the browser reopened, I did not need to click the popup, and all of the tabs reopened instantly.

I must say I am incredibly impressed at the level of responsiveness. Of the two issues I reported, both have been fixed right away.

Thank you Brave Team!

James

Okay, so it seemed like the change has been rolled back. The popup window asking me if I want to restore pages is back again, and I assume that, if the browser crashes again before I can click “Okay”, then I lose all my tabs.

Can we please either please stop asking, or make it a configurable option? If people don’t want their tabs to restore, there is an option in the settings where they can tell the browser to only open the new tab page when the browser starts.

Hi jmort253,

I use OneTab at https://chrome.google.com/webstore/detail/onetab/chphlpgkkbolifaimnlloiipkdnihall for tabs.

thanks

1 Like

I just lost all my tabs again. The little popup still appears, and I must not have noticed it while doing a reboot at work while Brave had reopened itself in another desktop space on my Mac. Can we get rid of the little popup window please?

As for the person promoting One Tab, One Tab isn’t what I’m looking for. OneTab doesn’t save the state of tabs automatically. It requires manual intervention. I would prefer OneTab if it could minimize tabs without actually closing them. I have lost data, thanks to OneTab. So no thank you.

I would just like the browser to be reliable by default. Like Yandex. I still have tabs open in Yandex, from June 2018, when I permanently switched from Google Chrome to Yandex, and that’s even after having to switch to another Mac after a hardware issue… That is how reliable Yandex’s saved tabs feature is. It just works, all the time, every single time.

I pinned all my tabs in Yandex and used the BookmarkFaviconChanger extension to use custom icons and have created a static dashboard in my browser. It’s reliable, like the sun rising in the east and setting in the west. I’ve never experienced reliability quite like that before and would love to see the same in Brave.

I use Yandex for work, and would prefer to use another super reliable browser for personal stuff. I would love for that to continue to be Brave…

1 Like

@jmort253,
I agree with you completely and I’m also quite impressed with the June '18 tabs – those are some old tabs!

This is certainly going to be something of a focus after we release 1.0 – going through all the browser mechanics and ensuring they’re all equally reliable. I am curious if you see the tabs you lost (that were not restored) in Menu --> History:

1 Like

I had a similar issue… I didn’t restore tabs hoping I could do it later, since the tabs were saved in “recently closed tabs”.
But someone turned off my computer and I ended up losing everything I had open (roughly 60-70 tabs).
I had hoped that as long as I didn’t close any other thing, I could open the tabs saved, as they would still be at the top of “recently closed tabs”, but it didn’t go like that, I just lost all I had opened in a previous session…
Honestly I wish the “recently closed” session registered more, like, save the tabs for longer… or that you could see them in your history…

A year later and a lot has changed but the same issue persists.

I’ve really liked Brave up to this point. It’s been generally reliable but I feel like this is a huge issue. I can’t continue to use Brave if I have to wring my hands and fret that my tabs won’t appear every time I start my laptop. Sometimes my previous tabs are conveniently listed as the Recent Tabs but that seems like a crap shoot as to whether they will or not. Granted, I don’t have as many tabs open as some do and can pretty easilly get my previous tabs back by looking in History but, more to the point, I’ve NEVER had to do this with ANY other browser EVER.

I see this thread has a ‘bug’ tag. Does that mean this is an official bug? Seems like there would be another board for that and this doesn’t contain bug reporting info.

FWIW:
Dell System Inspiron N7110
Microsoft Windows 10 Home 10.0.18363 Build 18363
Version 1.10.97 Chromium: 83.0.4103.116 (Official Build) (64-bit)
This started happening for me after v83 install

Steps to Reproduce: Can’t repro on demand

1. Configure Brave to run at system start up in Windows Settings > Apps > Startup
  2. Configure Settings > Get Started > ‘On startup’ to ‘Continue where you left off’
  3. Open several tabs to various web pages
  4. Close Brave
  5. Power off laptop paying attention for any observable anomalous behavior
  6. Power on laptop (nothing unique observed wrt previous power off process)
  7. Sometimes (1 in 30-ish) Brave wil not automaticallly run after start up as configured
  8. Manually starting Brave once in this state results in no previous tabs being presented
  9. The lost tabs may or may not be listed as a group in History > Recently Closed