Competitive Analysis

It seemed as though there was some interest in browser/feature comparisons in some other threads.

If you’d like to help with the effort, this thread should make for a good rallying point.

Commenting in other threads about Brave’s shortcomings, I mentioned Brave was a browser I used less and less frequently. It’s been a few days since I last opened Brave. v0.23.19. is now downloaded / installed, and I see Brave has yet to address fundamental problems.

Brave’s failure to empower users with control over when updates are downloaded is a non-negotiable fail. It’s not even open to discussion. “Competitive Analysis”: Under W-7, compare / contrast with Firefox and Vivaldi which explicitly give users control over downloading updates. Also under W-7 (and other versions of Windows), editing Autoruns gives users control over Chrome and Opera update downloads. Repeating / emphasizing: Brave’s failure to provide user control over when updates are downloaded is a non-negotiable fail.

Also at the top of my list: Brave’s reliance on cryptocurrency to collect and disburse micropayments. The concept of micropayments in lieu of advertising is brilliant. Cryptocurrency as the method: not so much. For those in jurisdictions that make regulatory compliance burdensome, it’s not worth the hassle. Cryptocurrency as an option? Sure! But for both browser users and website publishers, frictionless transactions using conventional methods are essential.

There’s other stuff – Brave’s failure to keep security-related extensions updated (e.g.: Bitwarden remains at v1.25.25 – released in March 2018 – while the rest of the world has advanced to v1.27.0) – and accumulating bugs that aren’t addressed and that list grows longer – suggests Brave’s priorities aren’t mine.

I check back occasionally, but considering Brave’s apparent trajectory, for me, it doesn’t seem Brave will ever be anything other than a quirky flawed alternative.