Combined Topic: iOS crashing after 1.50

There have been a lot of reports on iOS not opening or crashing on iOS lately. Brave Support and Developers are currently investigating and working on a fix. Currently they are seeing this primarily happen with iOS 15.0 and 15.1. To make things simpler, I’m merging all existing topics with people reporting the issue with this one.

If you are experiencing this issue, post below. Also, it may help if you check out iOS crashes: How to share logs and have that ready just in case developers or Support ask for it. This is especially the case if the issue is happening on a different iOS version other than 15.0 or 15.1.

Note/Instructions from one of the developers:

UPDATE MAY 17, 2023

1 Like

Hi there,

My Brave app isn’t launching on my iPhone 12 mini.
I’ve been using the app with no problems until today.
I tried deleting the app & reinstalling as well as restarting my device but it still won’t launch.
The iOS version is 15.1.
Please help!

1 Like

@hanibo please see instructions at iOS crashes: How to share logs. I know @Mattches has been working on trying to collect these logs and get it to the iOS team so they can figure it out. I actually am using iOS and not having a problem. Though I’m also using iOS 16.4.1(a). Does your device not update beyond 15.1.1?

Hi! Thank you for the quick response!

I am able to update the software version but I’d really prefer not to.

Here is the log that you were looking for (by the way, iPhone won’t let me update the file extension on iPhone itself - it doesn’t show the extension while editing the file name so I had to do it on my desktop). Also I cannot attach a file as a new user here and the log file is too big to paste here. What should I do?

I pasted the log into a public Google doc: [removed for security]

1 Like

I’m having the same problem, just started yesterday. I’ve been using brave for 3 years with no issues until now. I uninstalled and then re downloaded the app, and also tried restarting my iPhone, without success. I am also running iOS 15.1, on an iPhone 11. Would love to get this resolved

@Mattches and @SaltyBanana can either or both of you follow up on this?

@Fresca @hanibo,
Can you tell me what is actually happening when you try to launch the browser? Nothing at all? Does the browser launch then crash immediately? Are there any error messages?

@hanibo I’ve got your logs from the Google doc so I’ve edited your repost to remove the content (just to be safe).

@Fresca can you please follow the steps to download your iOS logs so I can take a look? You can just reply here when you have them and I will send you a DM so we can share them securely.

Thank you

Hi, can you check if the latest public beta build does not crash for you?
Grab it here https://testflight.apple.com/join/Trcbh1o3
Version 1.51 (23.5.12.16), we have a potential fix there.

Troubleshooting technical issues is much easier when both the user and support agent practice clear communication. For this reason, we have provided the template below for you to fill out with information about your issue. Please provide as much detail as possible so we can most efficiently resolve your problem.

Description of the issue:
Welp, against my better judgement to never upgrade anything Brave, here we are. App crashes whenever opened. Restarted phone, nothing matters. Always crashes.

How can this issue be reproduced?

1. App crashes instantly upon opening everytime.

Expected result:

Brave Version( check About Brave): 1.50

Mobile Device details iphone ios 15.1.1

Additional Information:
It appears theres lots of other people reporting the same thing. Already annoyed that it messed up my day of working remotely, gonna be even madder to lose all my pages that were open.

@unwantedaccount please see instructions at iOS crashes: How to share logs. I know @Mattches has been working on trying to collect these logs and get it to the iOS team so they can figure it out. I actually am using iOS and not having a problem. Though I’m also using iOS 16.4.1(a). Does your device not update beyond 15.1.1?

I dont want to upgrade my ios, my phone works fine and Id like to keep it that way, as far as Im concerned upgrades are downgrades and this kind of validates that.

On the app store, brave says 1.50 is compatible with 15.1. It would be nice if there was a legacy option to downgrade to a working version.

2 Likes

All I can say is my iPhone is handling better after updates. They exist to help keep things secure and make sure it all runs well. I do know that so far, many posts (especially those made today) have all been people using older OS. There comes a time when things just won’t work right.

Yeah, it says iOS 15 or newer. Not sure how much longer until that might change.

That things break if you don’t update? Yep. I mean, you could have kept older version of Brave but then you wouldn’t be able to Sync and would eventually lose access to a lot of other features (such as Shields)

Well, theres been 2 times Ive upgraded ios and it ruined my library of photos of 20k photos out of order, twice and there was never a fix. If I never updated it would of been fine. So no. Leaving it where it is, is best for me.

Thats fine if there comes a time where I cant upgrade, but Brave needs to get their sh!t together and not let you update something that isnt useable, leaving me stuck. This has happened before with Brave on Mac OS like 2-3 years ago, where it upgraded (automatically!!!) past what it was capable of and left me with a bricked browser.

My phone worked just fine until I “upgraded”. Same went for the Mac OS version a couple years ago, worked just fine, closed the browser, reopened it, it updated on its own and stopped working. Why? This is a massive headache. I had to go as far as getting a piece of software to block brave update connections. My life is hard enough, I dont have time to deal with this stuff. This is already hours of wasted time, making an account I dont want, just to get something back that worked just fine.

Ive never had one piece of electronics my entire life that broke because it wasn’t upgraded. If it worked to being with it just kept working, but I had plenty that stopped working or something went wrong or features removed after upgrading.

I never use Brave to sync. I just need it to access the web which I can no longer do. My super old iPad with a version of Brave from like 4 years ago, still working.

1 Like

Do you have Brave Rewards enabled?

Hi, can you check if the latest public beta build does not crash for you?

Alternatively you can try updating your iOS device to a higher iOS 15 version. This crash seems to only occur on 15.0 and 15.1 devices

Troubleshooting technical issues is much easier when both the user and support agent practice clear communication. For this reason, we have provided the template below for you to fill out with information about your issue. Please provide as much detail as possible so we can most efficiently resolve your problem.

Description of the issue:
This morning when trying to use brave it began crashing immediately upon startup. I have tried uninstalling and reinstalling.

I am running IOS 15.1.1 and using dopamine however I tried uninstalling dopamine and it had no effect.

1. Open brave
  2. It immediately closes

Expected result:

Brave Version( check About Brave):
Mobile Device details
Iphone 13 Pro, IOS 15.1.1
Additional Information:

Solved by downgrading to 1.49.1

Can you check if the latest public beta build does not crash for you?

Alternatively you can try updating your iOS device to a higher iOS 15 version. This crash seems to only occur on 15.0 and 15.1 devices

**Description of the issue:**after updating app to version 1.50 on my iphone xs ios:15.1 app immediately crashes

1.download latest brave browser version on ios:15.1 and try running the app

**Expected result:**app crashes immediately

**Brave Version( check About Brave):**1.50

Mobile Device detailsiphone xs ios:15.1

Additional Information:

1 Like

My iPhone 12 no longer opens the Brave browser. Brave crashes every time I try to open it. Help! Brave is my favorite browser!

1 Like