Closing Brave browser crashes virtualbox application with memory error

Please can anyone help me out.
I have installed brave browser in Ubuntu 16.04 guest, Windows 10 Pro Host using {snap install brave} in a Virtualbox 6.0 environment. Brave browser opens and works fine. But when I close Brave browser this crashes the whole Vbox with an application memory error.
The Vbox version is: Version 6.0.14 r133895 (Qt5.6.2).
Brave browser version is: Version 1.0.1 Chromium: 78.0.3904.108 (Official build) (64-bits).

Description of the issue:
I have installed brave browser in Ubuntu 16.04 guest, Windows 10 Pro Host using {snap install brave} in a Virtualbox 6.0 environment. Brave browser opens and works fine. But when I close Brave browser this crashes the whole Vbox with an application memory error.

Steps to Reproduce (add as many as necessary): 1. 2. 3.

1. click Brave browser to open.
  2. surf on a web page or two.
  3. close Brave browser.
  4. crash

See error: The instruction at 0x00007FFBF9C204F1 referenced memory at 0x0000000000000000. The memory could not be written. Click on OK to terminate the program.

Actual Result (gifs and screenshots are welcome!):
See above pictures attached.

Expected result:
If this doesn’t work I am afraid of actually installing it at my Ubuntu desktop at home (not virtual).

Reproduces how often:
Everytime, I have reproduced myself for several times (>10x).

Operating System and Brave Version(See the About Brave page in the main menu):
Brave browser version is: Version 1.0.1 Chromium: 78.0.3904.108 (Official build) (64-bits).
OS guest: Ubuntu 16.04 LTS
OS host: Windows 10 Pro

Additional Information:
Same happens when I follow the installation on Brave website here: https://brave-browser.readthedocs.io/en/latest/installing-brave.html#linux with same crashing results when closing the browser after browsing 5seconds.

@th0046,
For future reference, you should definitely be using the official install instructions rather than snap (or similar) packages, since they cannot be guaranteed to be up to date. For example, you’re showing now that you’re running Brave v1.0.1 after snap installation – the latest release (at the time of writing this) is v1.1.22.

Testing on my end, I’m able to run, browse and close Brave on my Ubuntu VM (running on Windows) without issue. The error looks like an issue with resource management – are you sure your VM meets the proper system requirements?

Yes. I just double checked my VM specs. Ubuntu 16.04 LTS requures VM with 1 processor, 4GB ram, 16GB disk. Did I overlooked something? It is running on a pretty new Dell laptop with Intel i5-8350U CPU which should be good enough, right?

@th0046,
Should be good enough, yeah. Maybe try disabling Hardware Acceleration in settings:

You’ll find this in Settings --> Additional Settings --> System --> Hardware Acceleration

HI I am really happy because I think youŕe right. I disabled 3D hardware acceleration in display settings. At least, I think thatś what you mean. And the good news is, it seems to do the trick! No crashes anymore. I will remove the snap install and reinstall following the official terminal command and use it for a week. If it stay working reliable I’ll install on my home desktop system for real. Brave helps me cross the privacy concerns (using firefox because of this) and chromecast support (using chrome browser for this). Thanks again.

1 Like

@th0046,
My pleasure – glad that worked. Don’t hesitate to reach out if you have further questions or concerns!

If you are keen to take the latest version of Android for a spin on your desktop computer.

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.