[Closed] Unable to install on desktop

Hello,

I am unable to install the latest version of Brave on my Windows 10 desktop. Instead, I get this error: “Unable to elevate, error C:\Users\Me\AppData\Local\brave\app-0.12.14”

I’ve tried running the program as an administrator. Also, I’ve tried killing all processes of other browsers, restarting the computer, and making sure there wasn’t a trace of Brave on my computer at all. Still I get the same error. Am I missing something?

I think that error is from the helper app inside:
C:\Users\YOUR_USERNAME\AppData\Local\brave\app-0.12.14\resources\BraveDefaults.exe

I think if it got to this it probably at least installed ok, could you try running directly from ``C:\Users\YOUR_USERNAME\AppData\Local\brave\app-0.12.14\brave.exe` ?

You could try creating a shortcut manually with target:
C:\Users\YOUR_USERNAME\AppData\Local\brave\Update.exe --processStart "Brave.exe"

Start in:
C:\Users\YOUR_UESRNAME\AppData\Local\brave\app-0.12.14

I tried running Brave.exe and an interesting thing happened. The screen turned black and started flickering to white off and on. Still, the program didn’t start, unfortunately.

This issue has been reported by other users as well, also on Windows 10.

@bravenewworld, which build of Windows are you presently on? You can get the precise details by running winver from the Run dialog (Right-click Start button, select Run).

12:11AM Update: I just had two individuals install on build 14986 (current fast-ring build as of this posting), and there were no issues or errors. https://twitter.com/jonathansampson/status/808183552265322496

I’m on OS Build 14393.479.

@sampson I am running the same build as @bravenewworld but I have no issues installing the latest version of Brave

Thank you for reporting this issue; it sounds somewhat similar to reports we have received at times in the past. This may be due to certain hardware/software you are running.

Would you be willing to create a new topic to track this discussion, and run dxdiag as well? The latter command will give you greater insight into your machine’s graphics card, and software. This may come in handy when diagnosing the flicker-issue you experienced.

Thank you.

Https://community.brave.com/t/unable-to-install-on-desktop/137/7

Hello!

I created a new topic based along this thread as suggested. Here’s a link to it :slight_smile:

(Https://community.brave.com/t/unable-to-install-on-desktop/137/7)

Thanks and Merry Christmas

Closing this in favor of: