[Closed] Google.com sent an invalid response ERR_SSL_PROTOCOL_ERROR


#1

Can’t access google.com on Brave Android. Literally any other site works, and google.com works on Chrome.
I suspect something is funky with the certificate pinning.

Tried the following:

  • Clearing the cache (from “beginning of time”)
  • Reinstalling Brave
  • Switching off wifi
  • Disabling Brave “Shield”
  • Restarting the phone

My environment:

  • Google Pixel
  • Android 7.1.1, Build NOF26V
  • Not running any VPN
  • Brave 1.0.13, Chromium 56.0.2924.87

#2

Same problem here since last week. Tried all things above but randomly get the same error.

Brave 1.0.13
Android 6.0.1; D5803 Build/23.5.A.1.291
Chromium 56.0.2924.87


#3

I just installed the browser today and am getting this same issue when trying to sign in to Google.


#4

Exactly the same…


#5

CC @serg for investigation.


#6

Same here. Came here looking for a solution.


#7

@Serg I have been able to consistently reproduce in Android (Nexus 5 & 9).

On my phone (Android v6.0.1) if I switch data radios from carrier to wifi, and launch a new window to do a fresh Google search it sometimes does the trick.

On the tablet, I have tried switching off the wifi antenna and restarting the wifi antenna. That has worked in some cases.

I haven’t had a chance to attempt to repro in Chrome, but will see if I can reproduce.


#8

Hey everyone,

I’ve been unable to repro directly in chrome yet, but did a little digging for issues from the past week (that’s around the same time I started observing the issue) and found the following post with a Chrome user experiencing the issue as well:

https://productforums.google.com/forum/m/#!topic/chrome/wiIxdALOoGg

The Google team seems pretty certain that it isn’t a Chrome issue, and that it’s more related to SSL certs within the device.

I know that in my case I have a couple of SSL certs installed in my devices that I use for debugging SSL traffic, so I’m going to see if removing and replacing the two certificates I install makes any difference.

Not sure if anyone else here has similar certs they’ve installed. If everyone else is just running the certs they already had installed on their devices out of the box, it could be larger Chrome/Google issue than the Google thread implies.

Will update on whether this resolves for me, and if I see any other info on this.


#9

Hey Everyone, [quote=“luke.mulks, post:8, topic:1299”]
found the following post with a Chrome user experiencing the issue as well:

https://productforums.google.com/forum/m/#!topic/chrome/wiIxdALOoGg
[/quote]

FYI I replied to the Google thread above , awaiting response.


#10

The same issue is happening on Amazon’s Silk browser, which is also Chromium based. The problem is originating on Google’s end and not Brave’s.
http://amzn.to/2m8TeYT


#11

Thanks everyone for letting us know about that. We are working on the fix. It is coming soon.


#12

We just fixed it. Try the new version on Play Store. Thanks.


#13