Cleaning cookies on exit question (whitelist)

I’ve got a question, there is an option to clean all cookies on exit, or select which sites should be cleaned. I don’t see an option to clean all cookies other than selected sites , am I right? I want to selected 2-3 sites that will save cookies on exit and the rest should be cleaned. Currently I see 3 options:Sites that can always use cookies

Always clear cookies when windows are closed

Sites that can never use cookies

On each I can add sites. Neither looks like what I want. I want cookie websites whitelist and the rest cleaned. Or perhaps the selection of words looks confusing

ziomek64,

You will help yourself greatly, by becoming a master of all the settings at:

brave://settings/clearBrowserData

brave://settings/cookies

brave://settings/content

Some websites send a bunch of cookies to your browser.

While you attempt to curate those, thinking that you will “just get rid of” two, let us say, but allow the rest to be a mix, some of them to be deleted when exiting the browser or closing a window . . . and the others to be saved . . .

You find that one of the cookies that was set to be deleted, was somehow a “mother hen” that affected how the browser’s clearing function then deleted the rest of the website’s cookies.

In other words, the browser actually does NOT provide for the precise selecting of Cookes that Stay -vs- Cookies that Are Deleted.

Frustrating. But, with the cookies and data settings that Brave Browser has, we continue to struggle with that problem.

Though, there is a movement to request precision cookie selection (Go or Stay).

Please get into the habit of manually backing up your Bookmarks:

Somehow firefox has this option and it works fine and whitelisting cookies never deleted necessary cookies. How come brave doesn’t have it?

ziomek64 ,

Brave Browser provides the cookies settings[1] . . . but in some situations, one (or more?) of the cookie clear-or-stay function(s), fail(s). ([1] More accurately, either ALLOW or BLOCK the sources of cookies.)

How do you allow or deny a cookie, when the online source of the cookie, may change often.

The name of a cookie, might change often, or not. (Depends upon how much the source wants you to stick with that cookie.)

Google, for example, rotates its sub-domains (servers) thru an enormous stack (several hundred thousand) of IP addresses.

What does an Internet browser do, when confronted by, the sudden change of IP address for a certain sub-domain that sends a cookie, or sends some script for writing certain cookies . . . between two moments in time, during an online session?

How does the Internet browser manage the three:

• cookie name
  • sending sub-domain
  • sending IP address

when especially, such info arrives from the giant, Google?

Google might send extra-special, top secret cookie stuff from an obscurely-named sub-domain . . . and then moments later, the same sauce is arriving from one of the much more common domains of Google.

People do not want to field ads (advertisements) and other stuff, because of the tracking and snooping by the likes of Google . . . so people try to BLOCK Google stuff, by blocking:

• cookies
  • Google sub-domains
  • Google IP addresses

And Google knows that – which is why, Google rotates its sending of stuff, thru its monstrous maze of online sources.

You might BLOCK 1 million Google IP addresses, and find that you can still sign on to G-mail and also view YouTube.

And moments later, suddenly you can still view YouTube but no longer sign on to G-mail . . . because Google moved a sub-domain re G-mail, to one of the IP addresses that you block.

Similarly, you might BLOCK javascripts from:

www1.google.com

but ALLOW javascripts from:

www2.google.com

and have the same problems with G-mail and YouTube.

(@Go-go_duck – I had to edit some of this.)

1 Like

Hello.
To select which cookies to keep and which one I delete automatically, I use the extension ‘Click&Clean’.

CerealLover,

Found the developer website:

https://www.hotcleaner.com/clickclean_chrome.html

Also CClearner

https://www.ccleaner.com/download

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.