Chrome Web Store installation prompt is suffixing the extension name with the phrase "Gmail Checker"

Description

Chrome Web Store installation prompt is prefixing the extension name with the phrase “Gmail Checker”

Steps to Reproduce

1. Open the Chrome Web Store (e.g. by clicking on the icon on the new tab page)
  2. Open an app page (e.g. Google Translate: https://chrome.google.com/webstore/detail/google-translate/aapbdbdomjkkjkaonfhkkikfgjllcleb?hl=en-GB)
  3. Click on “Add To Chrome Button”

Actual result:
Pop-up with details of the extension. Saying:
Brave hasn’t reviewed this extension yet - it might be malicious. Add “Google TranslateGoogleTranslateGmail Checker” anyway?

Expected result:
Pop-up with details of the extension. Saying:
Brave hasn’t reviewed this extension yet - it might be malicious. Add “Google Translate” anyway?

Reproduces how often:
100%

Brave Version

about:brave info:
0.58.21 Chromium: 71.0.3578.98 (Official Build) (64-bit)

Reproducible on current live release:
Yes

Additional Information

• It’s possible this is only happening for un-verified extensions

@brave.encore, thank you for bringing this to our attention.
However, I’m not seeing this on my end:

Can you share a screenshot of what you seen in the pop-up?

This is what I’m seeing:

It’s also happening even after browser restart

That’s interesting. Is this happening to all extensions or just the Google Translate extension? Because it looks like we have an issue for this filed already. Not exactly the same but almost:

I’ve added your report to the issue as well.

Hopefully we’ll have that addressed and displaying properly soon. Thanks again for letting us know about this!

It seems to be happening for all unverified extensions I’m attempting to install.

For example, it’s not happening for the Save To Pocket Extension: https://chrome.google.com/webstore/detail/save-to-pocket/niloccemoadcdkdjlinkgdfekeahmflj

(Also, did you mean to link to a different issue? It looks like the similar issue you referenced is the same one I’ve raised)

Whoops! That’s my bad. I’ve edited the link to be the actual issue. Good catch! :slight_smile:

1 Like