Change rewards wallet to Brave wallet

Briefly describe your issue:

I’m tired of Uphold and am trying to withdraw by Brave to another wallet, but I’m also trying to change my wallet for Brave to be the Brave wallet itself. I can’t figure out how to do that. I find one place that seems right, but it only give Uphold and Gemini as options. Any ideas.

What Operating System and Brave version are you using (Menu --> About Brave)?

Windows, latest version of Brave

Is your Brave Rewards Profile currently verified? (yes/no)

It was, and now it’s saying unverified; not sure what’s happening.

What date did you connect a your Brave Rewards Profile?

today

Have you been able to successfully receive payments in the past?

yes

Are you using a VPN? (yes/no)

no

Are you in a supported region (see here for list of supported regions)?

yes

Does your device pass the SafteyNet check (Android only)?

PC

Hi @Lance-R welcome back to Community :wave:

Brave Rewards is tied to Brave Private Ads. Brave Browser users who opt-in to Brave Rewards will see privacy-preserving, first-party ads in certain locations as they browse. By viewing these ads, users can earn a crypto token called the Basic Attention Token (BAT).

Brave Wallet is a tool that allows you to buy, store, send, and swap almost any crypto asset & NFT, connect other wallets and web3 DApps, and generally manage your whole crypto portfolio. You can store BAT you’ve earned through Brave Rewards in the Brave Wallet, but otherwise the two features are not connected.

If you would like to learn more about the Brave Wallet (Self Custody) see more in the link provided below:

Have you tried to reconnect your custodial account to your Brave Rewards Profile? And does it return an error message?

Thanks

1 Like

As regards to your first point, I should have been clearer that I’m trying to change my wallet for Brave rewards to be the Brave wallet itself.

Yes, I have tried to re-connect the Uphold and it gives the “Error: Limited Uphold account functionality” message to me. Probably related to why I’m trying to dump Uphold and use the Brave wallet.

Hi @Lance-R

As mentioned above, Brave Rewards and the Brave Wallet are two separate ecosystems and are not connected.
At this time, only Uphold or Gemini (or Bitflyer for users in Japan) can be connected to withdraw BAT from the browser. However, there are considerations for other options that users can use to withdraw BAT.
If you wish to receive BAT to your Brave Wallet, you will need to have a verified custodial account connected to your Brave Rewards Profile. From there you can send BAT from your custodial account to your Brave Wallet.

As for this issue, this thread has detailed what has helped other Uphold users who are seeing this Error message displayed.

1 Like

Alright, thanks for the info. It’s crazy to me that Brave would go to the trouble of creating a wallet and then not allow it’s use to receive its rewards. I guess I’ll just give up on Brave since Uphold just doesn’t function good. They’ve taken my small amount of crypto in there, so they should be happy they scammed another person.

2 Likes

In order to comply with current financial regulations (such as FinCEN and OFAC requirements, or equivalent regulators outside the United States), Brave Rewards payouts at this time must first go through a regulated custodian (like Uphold/Gemini).

Note that once you receive BAT into your custodial account, you can always withdraw it on-chain to your Brave Wallet.

1 Like

Makes no sense that Brave browser ever had anything to do with Greedy arse Gemini at all especially after Gemini was confirmed to be directly connected with 3 Arrows Capital / 3AC who was stealing money from everyone internationally… :speak_no_evil::speak_no_evil::persevere::persevere::persevere::persevere::persevere::persevere:

Uphold also sucks because they NEVER allow access to private keys of crypto addresses and then there’s that damned atrocious W9 capital gains tax shiitake…

Brave browser was way better off without
ever having to associate with Gemini at all.

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.