Change/Customize/Blank New Tab Page

@jangorecki,
Not yet but many more options coming soon – appreciate your patience :slight_smile:

4 Likes

Hey there,
Just downloaded Brave and am LOVING it… the only change I’d like to see in the dashboard is an embedded RSS reader. I really miss Google Reader and would love for some functionality to be returned to a browser.

Thanks

4 Likes

I absolutely agree with that - the new tab page needs definitely better design and customize options. Now is very annoying using it.

3 Likes

I installed an extension to remove the background image, but I’m definitely in agreement that being able to use about:blank as the new tab page would be the ideal solution.

4 Likes

re: [Version 1.5.113 Chromium: 80.0.3987.149 (Official Build) (64-bit)] (Windows 10)
+1 for being able to use about:blank, which works fine in the address bar of Brave, but not in the new tab settings.

Not sure why there’s a “specific” setting for what opens when I open Brave, since I seem to always get the dashboard when opening a new tab or new browser window altogether, no matter what I put there(I’ve tried actual sites as well, if I’m missing some arcane syntax that isn’t required in other browsers, let me know):

brave specific page no effect

I’m also not really sure that “user experience” concerns(aside from quicker load times and CHOICE) are relevant to the users who literally just want a blank page - which they’ve been able to achieve in other browsers since Netscape Navigator.

TL;DR; Let us set the new tab page and have it actually work. I’d rather download an adblocker on a browser that supports this basic functionality than see an unresolved thread from the beginning of 2019 asking for it in your community pages.

5 Likes

This is what works for me in Linux Brave beta:

4 Likes

I would love to have custom tiles on the dashboard!

5 Likes

I just started using Brave on my desktop.

I hate the dashboard. I work on a 42 inch in a dark room, your gradient is too bright and so are the pictures. I hate this. I might have to try to use the beta since someone says it allows themes to style it but I might just go back to chrome since it seems not much progress has been made since the original thread in 2017.

I know my way around a style sheet I’ll drop an iframe in so I at least have useful background that I know will be dark. So I try some html with inspect it works except it doesn’t. It renders “Requests blocked to the server block by an extension” I don’t have any extensions installed, so your browser is blocking it.

No problem I’ll just go with a black screen. Let me just install stylebot and fix this in a jiffy. Nope it can’t modify the page. I get it you are trying ensure that your OPTIONAL ads get seen and you can sell them with high efficacy and allowing me to filter them with stylebot or an ad blocker ruins that, however that is ruining my experience of using your browser.

As a side note you are lacking browser side permissions. When I installed Stylebot it get access to all data and can change it all sites, why can’t brave step up for security and let me white/blacklist urls and not just “trust the developers”.

5 Likes

I tried doing local overrides but those only come into effect with the inspect panel. Could you at least give us sliders on the gradient?

3 Likes

What really bothers me is that it’s clearly a nudge toward viewing the images to support the browser. This shouldn’t be the kind of thing that you need to install an extension for. I heard so many good things about Brave from my smartest friends, but I wasn’t interested in the BAT or viewing ads of any kind. However, I decided to try it since I heard you could opt out of all that, and I’ve been using Brave for about 2 weeks now.

Even getting passed the issue with workarounds, it just shows the philosophy of this browser isn’t for me, and I can’t get over it. I don’t believe in psychological nudges. I think we should be honest and present all pertinent information and options to people and let them make their own decisions as individuals. Versus applying sweeping policy to all based on how most humans react to something just to get the effect you want.

So my problem with this isn’t so much the problem itself(it is a very small problem), it’s what it tells me about the direction of the software. I don’t think I want to go that direction myself.

It’s still a great browser. I love the features. Obviously very talented people behind it. It’s just when I encounter nudges, it’s like, “Ok, what are they going to try and make me do next?” I’d rather just pay the developers a monthly fee or something instead of give my attention to advertisements, even if they are 100% ethical and don’t break my privacy. I’m so opposed to it, that I don’t even want to feel the ripple effects of advertisements (like a psychological nudge toward them).

4 Likes

Please add a search engine box (based on your default) to the center of the new tab page.

1 Like

When I remove the pictures, I want the page to look in a light or dark theme. As I get used to the dark theme, the colorful and light new tab disturbs.

2 Likes

Yes, if a user disables all new-tab content,
the default should be a bank (white) page,
and not this obtrusive purple-pink surface.

3 Likes

Is it here yet? its been more than a year. Is anyone even working on it?

I cant even change bg image from an extension

Just why?

2 Likes

It’s been over a year now. When will these features come to Brave??

3 Likes

Its been almost two years and I gave up on this. When I was using Brave I resorted to using Speed Dial 2 New tab extension.

3 Likes

First I’ve seen this thread though as others have commented, it’s been around — and unresolved — for a year and a half.

The good news: unlike some other issues, Brave acknowledges this is An Issue.

More good news: there are work-arounds.

Get started | On startup | Open a specific page or set of pages
[about:blank]

This will open Brave to a blank page. Unlike other browsers (some, Chromium-based), this entry only affects what you see when you start Brave, not when you open new tabs.

Blank New Tab Page does just what the name says. There are other similar extensions that will open — for example — a blank dark new tab page if that’s what you’d prefer.

The not-so-good news — resolving this (and other issues) with extensions has potential downsides: https://krebsonsecurity.com/2020/03/the-case-for-limiting-your-browser-extensions/

4 Likes

Hi

Got the same issue on brave bet for Android.
Even if I set default page in the parameters I still get the dashboard. The settings doesn’t have any effect .

1 Like

Wow everything i ever thought of (as of now :smiley: ). Waiting eagerly for all these one by one. Thank you so much for your efforts and also the brave team. I’m a proud user!!
One more most anticipated feature i’d like to request is to enable dark mode for rewards page. Settings page already has one. It would be great and easy on the eyes if rewards page also had a dark mode…Just a thought.
Would love to hear your reply
Thanks a lot !!
Good Day :orange_heart:

2 Likes

Nearly TWO years and nothings been done on this? Crazy. Especially with solutions such as using a Chrome add-on? Why am I even with Brave if I have to resort to that?

1 Like