Change/Customize/Blank New Tab Page

Description

Users frequently ask how or request the ability to change the default Brave New Tab Page in some way. This includes (but not limited to):

• Changing NTP to a “Blank” page
  • Changing NTP to a specific site/URL
  • Customizing NTP elements (turn off auto-adding tiles/increase number of tiles, change position/layout of elements, turning block count on/off, choose background images displayed/disable background images, etc)

Solution

There is no “solution” to this currently. This feature may seem “standard” or “easy” to implement but there’s a great deal of care and consideration that goes into a feature like this - and that’s not including the work required to make the design intuitive and the feature set robust enough to suit as many users needs as possible.

That said, we are working on new design ideas and features internally. We hope to have more information on the status of this soon. As always, we appreciate your patience and understanding.

Workaround

While we don’t have our built-in NTP fully implemented yet, if you can’t live without it, you do have the option to use any extension that alters the New Tab Page in the interim.

After installing your preferred extension, the New Tab Pages should take place immediately. If you’re unable to get the extension you’d like to use to work in Brave, please don’t hesitate to open a new topic and submit a support request in the Support and Troubleshooting category.

Relevant Links and Community Threads

Links:
How do I install extensions (Help Center)?

Similar Community Threads:
Dashboard Enhancement
Open Pre-configured Website on New Tab
Empty New Tab Page
Annoyed by Dashboard

23 Likes

I have the opposite problem. I like the background pictures, I just purchased a Galaxy S5e tablet, installed Brave and all new tabs contain icons and statistics on a black white background, No photos. Is this Samsung related or is there a workaround

8 Likes

@rasch,
This issue (and most NTP issues) are related to the Desktop browser – Brave on mobile will get an NTP refactor as well as time allows. For now, your NTP is displaying as “intended” (that is, there’s no image there because they aren’t on mobile browsers – yet).

13 Likes

thank you for the information

7 Likes

Will it be possible to Change the background of the New Tab page, by yourself (or that it takes the background from a Chrome Theme).
I’ve made 2 Screenshots + 1 Screenshot of my Options with the same Theme on both Brave and Chrome.

Brave - https://gyazo.com/40530da0961966c1000327d93ef19758
Chrome - https://gyazo.com/833923cf75261ebe99271194fa0482d5
Settings - https://gyazo.com/b34ab82160026689be77041f528ee875

Would be nice to have the same Background aswell, I am fine with not having the google searchbar in a new tab, as i never used it in Chrome anyways. But be able to further customize it would be awesome, as currently the backgrounds are always random.

9 Likes

Yes, this is planned functionality – you can view the project tasks on our project board here:

11 Likes

lovely, thanks for the heads up!

6 Likes

Any progress on this? Those colorful landscape pictures make me sick.

Cheers

7 Likes

+1

I just downloaded Brave, so far so good, but the new tab window background annoyed me SO MUCH I googled a solution right away. Hoping you can work this out :slight_smile:

7 Likes

Hi everyone, I’m the designer for the New Tab Page and this is roughly the order of front-end work that’s planned with @rebron, the product manager:

1. Fix Top Tiles

• Stop pulling from user History
  • Default Top Tiles the user starts with is brave.com, basicattentiontoken.org, and a third one TBD
  • Remove the pin and bookmark tile options, leaving only “X” to get rid of a top site
  • Allow user to add their own website URL as their top tile
  • Update top tile grid so that there is no limit on how many top tiles a user can add

2. Wallpaper

• Allow users to upload their image and set as wallpaper
  • Add more ‘no-image’ options, like gradients and setting solid colors
  • Add integration with a stock image library so the user can select from there

3. Stats

• Make text color white
  • Update labels to match labels in the Shields panel

Currently being fixed: Make clock widget match the user’s system time format (12h, 24h).

We will be creating separate issues for these items. This list does not indicate the complete priority of work as there may be non-front-end work that takes precedence. We might also change the order of work as we get more information and user feedback. You can check the project board for updates:

Thanks for your continued support in Brave! We’re always open to more feedback.

18 Likes

Hi,

thanks for your work! Just two comments on that:

Please set only one default top tile … like community.brave.com for example or the chrome web store … something really useful. It’s super annoying to remove all the top sites, because often they are not really useful/necessary.

And secondly: Could you improve the look of the tiles?
As you can see the images are not very clear, a lot of pixels can be seen
Also it would be much more beautiful to don’t have these background, but bigger rectangular icons in general. Here is how it looks in Opera for example, which I personally find very beautiful:
It just looks more modern!

Please let me know what you think! :slight_smile:

Personally I find number 1 the most important, especially the ability to add own top sites.

10 Likes

Hi @leon0402, thanks for the feedback. Improving the look of the tiles (fixing pixellated icons, making them bigger thumbnail images, etc.) is on the radar though not explicitly planned and prioritized yet.

Enabling you to add your own top tiles is definitely planned and designs are in progress!

12 Likes

You’re welcome!

So note a +1 for the improve of tile look :wink: If I only look at the ui, that’s probably the thing that bothers me the most!

Thanks for your great work! I was wondering if you don’t want to open your own thread here and perhaps you could keep us there up to date? I know that you do quite a lot work on github (like roadmaps etc.), but I personally like a little bit more text focused on the important things (like the one from you above!).
Perhaps even a new category? We have now “release notes”, would be great to have another one about future plans etc.

5 Likes

@leon0402,
That’s precisely what this thread is for – to keep track of feedback/issues/updates to Brave’s NTP. :slight_smile:

7 Likes

I request these options for the new tab page:

1. More tiles (6 x 3 rows) and all are optional
  2. User defined websites in those
  3. Brave can have its home page and community page as two tiles after fresh installation
  4. Make the tile clear (the current size is fine)
  5. If possible settings to clock (position, to add AM/PM, seconds, 24 h clock etc)

Thanks
Nellai

7 Likes

One thing I would really like to see out of the update is that clicking X on the tile no longer removes the bookmark from your bookmarks. When attempting to click on the actual tile to trigger opening the page, I have accidentally clicked on the X and it has also removed the entry from my Bookmarks Toolbar. Unfortunately for me, one of the ones I did this with was a custom filtered Github PRs search, which I haven’t been able to get back (without just re-writing the whole filter URL).

New_Tab

7 Likes

Good afternoon,

Is there a way to disable top tiles please? I really resent showing what I have been visiting to anyone who happens to look over my shoulder when I open a new tab.

5 Likes

Not in Brave Release Version 0.66.101 Chromium: 75.0.3770.142 (Official Build) (64-bit).
Not in Beta Version 0.68.114 Chromium: 76.0.3809.87 (Official Build) beta (64-bit)

Yes in Dev and Nightly. (Dev Version 0.69.94 Chromium: 76.0.3809.62 (Official Build) dev (64-bit)); Nightly Version 0.70.12 Chromium: 76.0.3809.72 (Official Build) nightly (64-bit).
You can toggle them (Top Sites) off using the settings icon in the lower right of the new tab page.

7 Likes

Many thanks for that. It seems that I don’t have that icon available. The other three, the cogwheel, the bookmarks and the history are there, but no dashboard settings. I have this version: Version 0.66.101 Chromium: 75.0.3770.142 (Official Build) (64-bit)

5 Likes

Thanks, @kliu. The main bug I see with the “New Tab” page is that it shows tiles of websites I’ve visited even after I’ve cleared my history. Will this be fixed in the next version? Thanks.

Version 0.67.123 Chromium: 76.0.3809.87 (Official Build) (64-bit)

5 Likes