Centralized CSS / Element Blocking Management

I’m not sure if this has bene discussed, but I have attempted to find similar topics.

Brave could really use a centralized place to manage all custom CSS / element blocker rules for all sites. The current system involves – right click, enter a CSS ID or class to block, and hope that it works. If you have multiple existing rules and the new rule doesn’t work as expected, the user is forced to clear all rules for the site and start from scratch. In addition, there’s no easy way to tell if a CSS / element blocker rule is enabled for a website other than experimenting by clearing all rules and seeing if some page elements return.

Even something simple like uBlock Origin’s approach would be good where it’s a giant flat list of CSS rules with the applicable domains for each rule clearly listed.

4 Likes

Thanks for the request @Takuro @BraveNew. We’ve an issue logged for that. I added your +1s and you can follow the progress here https://github.com/brave/brave-browser/issues/1280

Thanks
:slight_smile:

1 Like

I checked this behaviour today 2019-07-24.

It still does this:
Browser_Brave_WayToModifySiteCSS_20190724

I was looking because I was considering using Brave to access a web site that I don’t currently use it for. (The site has some hostile design features that its management seem determined to keep. I find that I need to alter styling of some elements, and flat out disable others to make the site palatable enough to use.)

I find that user defined css does that well and presumably is very performant. (A feature like @-moz-document domain(.), in Firefox seems, to me, pretty important for serious work.)

The current Brave approach and this are not incompatible.

The existing approach could persist in a user defined style sheet and the user could change that css if they wanted to do something more sophisticated, like altering a style.

Such an approach would also make it easier, for the savvy user, to selectively edit style for a particular site, rather than the current draconian all or nothing and you can’t see it approach.

Having established what happens at present I won’t use Brave on sites where I want this.

I suggest the design team consider this.