Can't skip ads on youtube

Not sure what Brave is, I had clicked a browser link for support in Dissenter browser and it brought me to this Brave site. Anyhow, does anyone know why when I play youtube vids on Dissenter, that there is no option to skip ads? I have to sit and watch ads that can run a half hour.

Thanks!

Do you have any Extensions in it?
I once used a YouTube Adblocker and this had occurred…

Hey @davidll ! Welcome to the community :smiley:

Can you please explain what Dissenter is? It sent you to Brave website? Are you using Dissenter to browse Youtube or the actual Brave app?

What OS / device are you using?

If you are using the Brave browser, can you please give me the browser version? You can find this by visiting → brave://settings/help

Thank you!

Porridge

Its pretty much the standard browser, downloaded and installed.

Dissenter is the browser you can download from gab.com Yes, I am using the Dissenter browser on the web. The os is windows 10, and the Dissenter browser version is [1.5.114 Chromium: 80.0.3987.149 (Official Build) (64-bit)] which is the latest one, because I just downloaded it around a week ago.
Typically, when watching vids on youtube there is the little skip ad button you can click after so many seconds of watching an ad, but for whatever reason when watching vids on Dissenter, that little button is not present and you have to watch the entire ad.

Dissenter is outdated, and not supported here.

1 Like

What do you mean outdated? It just updated recently.

Brave (Stable/Release): Version 1.26.74 Chromium: 91.0.4472.124 (Official Build) (64-bit)
Dissenter: Chromium: 80.0.3987.149

Would recommend either prodding gab.com for support, or just use Brave

1 Like

fanboynz, this IS the support for Dissenter. The browser has a support button built right onto it and when you click it, it brings you to right here. That is why I said in my opening post, “not sure what brave is”, because I arrived here with the need to find out why I cannot skip ads on youtube with the Dissenter browser… so, this is it, this is where their support page brought me.

Yes, Disenter is the browser that Gab sponsors. Just go to gab.com and in the links on the left, down at the bottom, you will see the link for the Dissenter download. It’s just a private browser. I love it, it works very well, only, the skip button for youtube ads doesn’t appear. And sometimes some video doesn’t show or run. I do believe there is a setting somewhere in Dissenter that I have not yet found, but that is why i came here, to the supposed “Dissenter Support Forums”.

@davidll,
This is not support for Dissenter. This Community is for Brave browser only – you may have better luck reaching out to a GAB specific Reddit forum or some other source, as we do not provide support for Dissenter browser.

This link is likely in there because the folks at Dissenter didn’t take the time to remove or change it – they simply forked it and overlooked details such as this.

2 Likes

Ah. That makes some sense Mattches. So are you saying that Dissenter is a knock off, or a partial Brave browser somehow?

@davidll,
Yes – Dissenter is a fork of Brave browser. FWIW, I would highly recommend you switch to Brave, for better security, faster security fixes and much faster Chromium updates. Feel free to try us out here.

2 Likes

You can also send over your passwords, bookmarks and the like as long as you export them, so you don’t need to worry about losing those.

1 Like

Yup. Downloaded it and installed it. Looks almost like the Dissenter browser. Runs fast and does well. Only thing I noticed that Dissenter has that Brave does not have is the private browsing feature. And have not yet tried youtube to see if ads can be skipped, but i assume they can cuz i dont see that complaint anywhere. Thanks for the tips :slight_smile:

@davidll,

I’m sorry, what private browsing feature do they have that Brave doesn’t? We actually have two different private browsing “modes” – your typical Private window, similar to “incognito” mode, and Private window w/Tor for increased privacy.

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.